The Supreme Court Bench of Justices Rohinton Nariman and Surya Kant has extended the deadline for completion of trial and judgment delivering in the Babri Masjid Demolition case till August 31 .The Court had said, on July 19 last year the judgment in the case ought to be delivered in nine months.
Despite the Court’s order, the trial in the case has yet not concluded. The Additional District & Sessions Judge Surendra Kumar Yadav, who is hearing the case, has now written to the Apex Court indicating the same. In his letter dated May 6, the judge has informed the Court that the trial is at the evidence stage and the same is yet to be concluded.
The Court said that video conferencing facilities are available and the same must be used by Judge Yadav to ensure that further inordinate delay in the case does not take place.
“We may indicate that video conferencing facilities are available and should be used by Shri Yadav in order to complete all evidence as well as applications that may be filed in that behalf.”
The Court also mentioned that it was cognizant of the fact that Judge Yadav is taking all efforts to ensure that the trial reached its logical conclusion but must also ensure that proceedings must be completed and judgment in the same must be delivered latest by August 31 this year.
“Given the original time frame and the extended time frame, the effort must now be to complete the proceedings and deliver judgment latest by August 31, 2020.”
In April 2017, the Supreme Court had allowed the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to frame charges against eight BJP leaders including LK Advani, Murli Manohar Joshi and Uma Bharti for criminal conspiracy in the Babri Masjid Demolition case.
The Court had directed that the trial should conclude within two years, and had also ordered that the judge hearing the case to not be transferred.
Read the Order here: