The Uttar Pradesh Government has constituted a Special Investigation Team, lead by Additional Chief Secretary Sanjay Bhusreddy, to investigate the criminal activities carried out by gangster Vikas Dubey.
The SIT, also comprised by Additional Director General of Police, Hariram Sharma and DIG Ravindra Gaur, has been asked to submit its report by July 31 in case of Vikas Dubey , on the following points:
- What effective actions were taken against Dubey and his aides in connection to the charges criminal pending against him;
- What steps were taken for cancellation of bail of such a dreaded criminal, having such a detailed criminal history;
- How many complaints were received against Dubey and what action was taken against him and his associates under the Gangster Act, Gunda Act, NSA, etc.
- Despite being involved in so many crimes, who and why cleared weapon license for Dubey and his associates;
- How many police officials came in contact with Dubey in past one year and evidence, if any, regarding collusion among them;
- Unearth the trail of property, trades and economic activities illegally acquired by Dubey and his associates and indicate whether the local police displayed any laxity, negligence or involvement in the same.
The incident has given rise to a massive debate around police/ political involvement with the gangster and several representations have been placed before the Supreme Court as well as the Allahabad High Court seeking a judicial probe. The SIT has also been asked to probe why there was negligence in collecting information about availability of weapons with Dubey and his aides.