Current affairs quiz today – 12th Jan. 2021.
We recommend that you read the current affairs of 12th Jan. 2021 before taking today’s current affairs quiz. Click here to access it.
#1. Which of the following categorie/s of farmers is/are excluded from the list of beneficiaries of PM-Kisan?
1. Farmer families having a combined landholding of more than 2 hectares.
2. Institutional Landholders.
3. Farmer families having a combined landholding of less than 2 hectares.
4. Persons who have paid Income Tax in the last assessment year.
Choose the correct option:
ANS: (C) 2 and 4 only
Under the PM-Kisan scheme, income support of 6,000/- per year in three equal instalments is provided to small and marginal farmer families having combined landholding/ownership of up to 2 hectares. (The land size criterion has been removed to include large farmers as well).
The following categories of beneficiaries of higher economic status shall not be eligible for benefit under the scheme.
- All Institutional Landholders.
- Farmer families which belong to one or more of the following categories:
- Former and present holders of constitutional posts.
- Former and present Ministers, Members of Lok Sabha/ Rajya Sabha/ State Legislative Assemblies/ State Legislative Councils, Mayors of Municipal Corporations, Chairpersons of District Panchayats.
- All serving or retired officers and employees of Central/ State Government Ministries Public Sector Undertakings and Attached offices /Autonomous Institutions under Government as well as regular employees of the Local Bodies.
- All superannuated/retired pensioners whose monthly pension is Rs.10,000/-or more.
- All Persons who paid Income Tax in the last assessment year.
- Professionals like Doctors, Engineers, Lawyers, Chartered Accountants, and Architects registered with Professional bodies and carrying out profession by undertaking practices.
#2. Consider the following statements with respect to Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund (PMNRF):
1. The initial purpose of the fund was to help people displaced due to the partition of India and Pakistan.
2. The resources of the PMNRF are utilized primarily to render immediate relief to families of those killed in natural calamities.
3. PMNRF has not been constituted by the Parliament.
4. Home Minister is the Chairman of PMNRF.
Which of the given statement/s is/are correct?
ANS: (A) 1, 2 and 3 only
- PMNRF was established in 1948 by Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru. The initial purpose of the fund was to help people displaced due to the partition of India and Pakistan.
- The resources of the PMNRF are now utilized primarily to render immediate relief to families of those killed in natural calamities like floods, cyclones and earthquakes, etc. and to the victims of major accidents and riots.
- Assistance from PMNRF is also rendered, to partially defray the expenses for medical treatment like heart surgeries, kidney transplantation, cancer treatment and acid attack, etc.
- The fund consists entirely of public contributions and does not get any budgetary support.
- The corpus of the fund is invested in various forms with scheduled commercial banks and other agencies.
- Disbursements are made with the approval of the Prime Minister.
- PMNRF has not been constituted by the Parliament.
- Prime Minister is the Chairman of PMNRF.
#3. Dzukou Valley is located at the borders of which of the following states?
ANS: (A) Nagaland and Manipur
- The Dzukou Valley, situated at an average altitude of 2,452 metres, is a popular trekking destination known for its exotic flowers.
- It is located at the borders of the states of Nagaland and Manipur in Northeast India.
#4. Consider the following statements about Sea Vigil- 21:
1. It is the largest coastal defence exercise of India held annually.
2. The 2021 exercise will take place along the coastline and Exclusive Economic Zone of India.
3. All the Coastal States & Union Territories and oil handling agencies will also participate in the exercise.
Which of the statements given above is/are not correct?
ANS: (A) 1 Only
- Recently, the second edition of the biennial pan-India coastal defence exercise ‘Sea Vigil-21’ has started. Hence, statement 1 is not correct.
- The inaugural edition of the exercise was conducted in January 2019.
- It is India’s largest coastal defence drill.
- The 2021 exercise is being undertaken along the entire 7516 km coastline and Exclusive Economic Zone of India. Hence, statement 2 is correct.
- It involves all the 13 coastal States and Union Territories along with other maritime stakeholders, including the fishing and coastal communities.
- 13 Coastal States and UTs: Gujarat, Maharashtra, Goa, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Odisha, West Bengal, Daman & Diu, Puducherry, Andaman & Nicobar Islands (Bay of Bengal) and Lakshadweep Islands (Arabian Sea).
- Assets of the Indian Navy, Coast Guard, Customs and other maritime agencies are participating in the Exercise.
- The Indian Air Force, National Security Guard, the Border Security Force, oil handling agencies and airports also participate in the exercise. Hence, statement 3 is correct.
#5. Which of the following National Park/Wildlife Sanctuaries have performed best in the Management Effectiveness Evaluation (MEE) of Protected Areas?
1. Tirthan Wildlife Sanctuary
2. Great Himalayan National Park (GNHP)
3. Turtle Wildlife Sanctuary
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
ANS: (A) 1 and 2 only
- Recently, the Ministry for Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) has released Management Effectiveness Evaluation (MEE) of 146 national parks and wildlife sanctuaries (NP&WLS) in the country.
- MEE of Protected Areas has emerged as a key tool that is increasingly being used by governments and international bodies to understand strengths and weaknesses of the protected area management systems.
- The assessment process of India’s National Park and Wildlife Sanctuaries adopted from IUCN WCPA (World Commission on Protected Areas) framework of MEE.
- Overall Performance: The results of the present assessment are encouraging with an overall mean MEE score of 62.01% which is higher than the global mean of 56%.
- Regional Performance: The eastern region of India presents the highest overall mean MEE Score of 66.12% and the Northern region represents the lowest mean MEE Score of 56%.
- Best NP& WLS: Tirthan Wildlife Sanctuary and Great Himalayan National Park (GNHP) in Himachal Pradesh have performed the best among the surveyed protected areas (Total -146).
- Worst NP& WLS: The Turtle Wildlife Sanctuary in Uttar Pradesh was the worst performer in the survey.
- Hence, option A is correct.
Click here to access quizzes from previous days.