Current affairs quiz today – 04th March 2021.
We recommend that you read the current affairs of 04th March 2021 before taking today’s current affairs quiz. Click here to access it.
#1. Consider the following statements regarding the ‘Freedom in the World 2021’ Report:
1. It is released by the United Nations Human Rights Council.
2. The report shows the declining trend of freedom in India since 2019.
Which of the statements given above is/are not correct?
ANS: (A) 1 only
- The Freedom in the World report is published by the USA based human rights watchdog Freedom House, which is largely funded through USA government grants, has been tracking the course of democracy since 1941. Hence, statement 1 is not correct.
- Countries are declared as “free”, “partly free” or “not free”.
- Pointing to a decline in global democracy over the last 15 years, the Freedom in the World 2021 report said that nearly 75% of the world’s population lived in a country that faced deterioration over the last year.
- The most free countries in the world, with a score of 100, are Finland, Norway and Sweden, while the least free with a score of 1 are Tibet and Syria.
- The 2021 report has downgraded India’s status from ‘Free’ to ‘Partly Free’.
- India’s score was 67, a drop from 71/100 from last year (reflecting 2019 data) downgrading it from the free category last year (i.e., based on 2020 data). Hence, statement 2 is correct.
#2. With reference to Similipal Biosphere Reserve, consider the following statements:
1. Some of its area lies in the Mayurbhanj Elephant Reserve.
2. It is mainly inhabited by the Dongria Kond tribes.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
ANS: (A) 1 only
- Recently, a massive fire broke out in the Similipal Biosphere Reserve in Odisha. The core area of the biosphere was untouched by the fire, however the fire is threatening damage to its rich biodiversity.
- It is part of the Similipal-Kuldiha-Hadgarh Elephant Reserve popularly known as Mayurbhanj Elephant Reserve, which includes 3 protected areas i.e. Similipal Tiger Reserve, Hadagarh Wildlife sanctuary and Kuldiha wildlife sanctuary. Hence, statement 1 is correct.
- Two tribes, the Erenga Kharias and the Mankirdias, mainly inhabit the Similipal Biosphere Reserve’s forests and practise traditional agricultural activities (the collection of seeds and timber). Hence, statement 2 is not correct.
- The Dongria Kondh population is mainly concentrated in the southern hills of the Odisha state and the Mahanadi River basin, and some are also found in the adjoining districts of the neighboring Andhra Pradesh State.
#3. Consider the following statements with respect to Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES):
1. The CITES is administered by the United Nations under its United Nations Environment Programme.
2. CITES is legally binding on member nations.
3. India is a member of CITES.
Which of the given statement/s is/are INCORRECT?
#4. Consider the following statements with respect to National Population Register:
1. It is a Register of usual residents of the country.
2. A usual resident is a person who has resided in a local area for the past 6 months or more or a person who intends to reside in that area for the next 6 months or more.
3. It is a part of the government’s citizenship enumeration drive.
Which of the given statement/s is/are correct?
ANS: (A) 1 and 2
- The National Population Register (NPR) is not a citizenship enumeration drive, as it would record even a foreigner staying in a locality for more than six months.
- It is a Register of usual residents of the country.
- A usual resident is a person who has resided in a local area for the past 6 months or more or a person who intends to reside in that area for the next 6 months or more.
Click here to access quizzes from previous days.