Current affairs quiz today – 09th March 2021.
We recommend that you read the current affairs of 09th March 2021 before taking today’s current affairs quiz. Click here to access it.
#1. Which of the following statement/s is/are correct with respect to the MQ-9 Reaper or Predator B drones?
1. These are armed drones.
2. These are manufactured by General Atomics company based in the U.S.
ANS: (C) Both 1 and 2
- India is seeking to acquire 30 MQ-9 Reaper or Predator B armed drones from the U.S., 10 each for the three services.
- MQ-9B has an endurance of 48 hours and a range of over 6,000 nautical miles. It comes with nine hard-points, capable of carrying sensors and laser-guided bombs besides air-to-ground missiles, with a maximum payload of two tonnes.
#2. What are the advantages offered by the air-independent propulsion systems as compared to the conventional diesel operated submarines?
1. Will help increase the operational range.
2. Better stealth character
ANS: (C) Both 1 and 2
- The Project 75I-class submarine is a follow-on of the Project 75 Kalvari-class submarine for the Indian Navy. Under this project, the Indian Navy intends to acquire six diesel-electric submarines, which will also feature advanced air-independent propulsion systems.
- Air-independent propulsion (AIP), or air-independent power, is any marine propulsion technology that allows a non-nuclear submarine to operate without access to atmospheric oxygen (by surfacing or using a snorkel). AIP can augment or replace the diesel-electric propulsion system of non-nuclear vessels.
- The air-independent propulsion systems enable the submarines to stay submerged for a longer duration and substantially increase their operational range as compared to the conventional diesel operated submarines.
- Modern non-nuclear submarines are potentially stealthier than nuclear submarines; a nuclear ship’s reactor must constantly pump coolant, generating some amount of detectable noise. Non-nuclear submarines running on battery power or AIP, on the other hand, can be virtually silent.
- While nuclear-powered designs still dominate in submergence times and deep-ocean performance, small, high-tech non-nuclear attack submarines are highly effective in coastal operations and pose a significant threat to less-stealthy and less-manoeuvrable nuclear submarines.
#3. Which of the following states has proposed to prepare a Gender Budget which would make it the first Indian state to do so?
ANS: (A) Andhra Pradesh
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister has said that the state would become the first State to come up with a gender budget in the current financial year. This budget would clearly list out the expenditure on welfare schemes for women.
- Such a budget would be a significant step towards addressing gender inequality.
#4. Consider the following statements:
1. National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) is an umbrella organisation for operating retail payments and settlement systems in India.
2. It is an initiative of Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and Indian Banks’ Association (IBA).
3. NPCI is an “Not for Profit” Company under the Section 8 of Companies Act 2013.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
ANS: (D) 1, 2 and 3
- National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) is an umbrella organisation for operating retail payments and settlement systems in India. Hence, statement 1 is correct.
- It is an initiative of Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and Indian Banks’ Association (IBA) under the provisions of the Payment and Settlement Systems Act, 2007. Hence, statement 2 is correct.
- It has been incorporated as a “Not for Profit” Company under the provisions of Section 25 of Companies Act 1956 (now Section 8 of Companies Act 2013). Hence, statement 3 is correct.
- The ten core promoter banks are State Bank of India, Punjab National Bank, Canara Bank, Bank of Baroda, Union Bank of India, Bank of India, ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank, Citibank and HSBC. In 2016 the shareholding was broad-based to 56 member banks to include more banks representing all sectors.
Click here to access quizzes from previous days.