The Central Government on Friday constituted the National Council for Transgender Person under Section 16 of the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Act, 2019.
It shall comprise of a Chairperson who shall be the ex-officio Union Minister of Social Justice & Empowerment and a Vice-Chairperson who shall be the ex-officio Minister of State for Social Justice & Empowerment.
The Council shall perform the following functions as entrusted to it under Section 17 of the Transgender Persons Act:
- advise the Central Government on the formulation of policies, programmes, legislation and projects with respect to transgender persons;
- monitor and evaluate the impact of policies and programmes designed for achieving equality and full participation of persons;
- review and coordinate the activities of all the departments of Government and other Governmental and non-Governmental Organisations which are dealing with matters relating to persons;
- redress the grievances of persons; and
- perform such other functions as may be prescribed by the Central Government.
Other members of the include:
- Secretary, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment;
- Representatives of various Ministries/ Departments;
- Representatives of National Human Rights Commission and National Commission for Women;
- Representatives of State Governments and UTs;
- Five representatives of the Community;
- Five experts representing NGOs that work for the welfare of persons;
- Joint Secretary, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment dealing with the welfare of the persons.
Read the Notification here: