Current affairs quiz today – 01st Feb. 2021.
We recommend that you read the current affairs of 01st Feb. 2021 before taking today’s current affairs quiz. Click here to access it.
#1. Which of the following statement/s is/are correct?
1. Andaman and Nicobar Islands have the highest number of National Parks and Wildlife sanctuaries for any state/Union Territory in India.
2. Andaman and Nicobar Islands house the largest number of Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTG) for any state/Union territory in India.
ANS: (D) Neither 1 nor 2
- While Andaman and Nicobar have the highest number of Wildlife Sanctuaries for any state/Union Territory in India, with respect to National Parks it stands second. Madhya Pradesh houses the largest number of National Parks.
- With respect to PVTGs, Andaman and Nicobar house 5 PVTGs, while Odisha is home to around 13 PVTGs.
#2. Which of the following statement/s is/are correct?
1. The census exercise in India first began in 1872 under British Viceroy Lord Mayo.
2. The first complete census in India was undertaken in 1881 under the British Viceroy Ripon.
ANS: (C) Both 1 and 2
Census history in India:
- The census exercise first began in 1872 under British Viceroy Lord Mayo, however the first complete census was taken in 1881 under the British Viceroy Ripon.
- Since then the census is undertaken every 10 years.
- The decennial Census of India has been conducted 15 times, as of 2011.
- Post 1949, the census has been conducted by the Registrar General and Census Commissioner of India under the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India.
- All the censuses since 1951 were conducted under the 1948 Census of India Act. The last census was held in 2011, whilst the next will be held in 2021. The 2021 Census of India will be the 16th Indian Census.
#3. Periyar Tiger reserve is located in which of the following states?
ANS: (B) Kerala
#4. Consider the following statements about Economic Survey of India:
1. It is an annual document released by the Department of Financial Services.
2. It is presented along with the Union Budget.
Which of the statements given above is/are not correct?
ANS: (C) Both 1 and 2
- The Economic Survey of India is an annual document released by the Ministry of Finance, Government of India.
- The Economic Survey document is prepared by the Economics Division of the Department of Economic Affairs (DEA) under the guidance of the Chief Economic Advisor. Hence, statement 1 is not correct.
- It contains the most authoritative and updated source of data on India’s economy.
- It is a report that the government presents on the state of the economy in the past one year, the key challenges it anticipates, and their possible solutions.
- It is usually presented a day before the Union Budget is presented in the Parliament.
- The first Economic Survey in India was presented in the year 1950-51. Up to 1964, it was presented along with the Union Budget. From 1964 onwards, it has been delinked from the Budget. Hence, statement 2 is not correct.
#5. Consider the following statements about the Little Andaman Island:
1. It is famous by the name of the largest settlement- Hut Bay in the region.
2. The island is considered home to the Onge tribe.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
ANS: (C) Both 1 and 2
Little Andaman Island
- This island is part of the Little Andaman Group (Little Andaman is the counterpart of Great Andamans). This island is the fourth largest island in Andamans.
- It is famous by the name of its main village and the largest settlement –Hut Bay (rarely known by its other name Kwate-tu-kwage). Hence, statement 1 is correct.
- At a distance of about 120 Kilometers by sea from the capital town of Port Blair, this island has become a tribal reserve from sometime near to 1957.
- This is considered home to the Onge Tribes, even though there are multilingual settlers of Bengali, Tamil, Telugu, and Ranchi communities. Hence, statement 2 is correct.
- Lying at the southern end of the archipelago, Hut Bay Jetty is the only harbor for ships or boats coming into this island from the capital town –Port Blair.
- Little Andamans is less explored due to the limited mode of connection with the capital town of Port Blair.
Click here to access quizzes from previous days.