We recommend that you read the current affairs of 14th Dec. 2020 before taking the following daily current affairs quiz. Click here to access it
#1. Which of the following Indian state/s share a physical border with Myanmar and Bangladesh?
ANS: 2 only
#2. Consider the following statements about Climate Action Summit.
1. The key focus of the summit is to accelerate the actions to implement the Rio declaration.
2. ActNow is the United Nations campaign for individual action on climate change and sustainability.
#3. Which is the western most range in the Kaziranga National Park?
- Kaziranga National Park in Assam is divided into four ranges: Burapahar range, Bagori range, Kohora range, Agoratoli range.
- Arrangement West to East: Burapahar, Bagori, Kohora, Agoratoli.
#4. Consider the following statements with respect to Myristica swamp treefrog:
1. It is an arboreal species known for exhibiting unique breeding behaviour.
2. It is endemic to the Western Ghats. Which of the given statement/s is/are correct?
ANS: Both 1 and 2
- Myristica swamp treefrog is a rare arboreal species. These frogs are rare and elusive for the reason that they are arboreal and active only for a few weeks during their breeding season.
- The frog is endemic to the Western Ghats.
- They exhibit unique breeding behaviour. The breeding season, unlike for other frogs, starts in the pre-monsoon season (May) and ends before the monsoon becomes fully active in June.
- After breeding and egg-laying, they retreat back to the high canopies of the tree and remain elusive till next breeding season.
#5. Consider the following statements:
1. The National Energy Conservation Day is an initiative of the Ministry of New & Renewable Energy.
2. India is a member nation of the International Energy Agency as well as the Mission Innovation.
3. The Bureau of Energy Efficiency functions under the Ministry of Power.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
ANS: 3 only
- TheNational Energy Conservation Day is organized on 14th December every year by the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) with an aim to showcase India’s achievements in energy efficiency and conservation. Hence, statement 1 is not correct.
- The National Energy Conservation Awards are given on the occasion.
- The Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE)was set up as the statutory body in 2002 at the central level to facilitate the implementation of the EC Act.
- It functions under the Ministry of Power. Hence, statement 3 is correct.
- The Global Efforts for Energy Conservation include: International Energy Agency (IEA), The Paris Agreement, Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL) and Mission Innovation.
- India is not a member country of the IEAbut an association country
- India is one of the member countries of Mission Innovation. Hence, statement 2 is not correct.
#6. Recently, a new species of Indian Muraingrasses (Ischaemum janarthanamii) known for their ecological and economic importance have been spotted by scientists in the:
Answer: Western Ghats
- Ischaemum janarthanamii:
- It is a novel species of Muraingrass identified by scientists in the plateaus of Western Ghats of Goa.
- The species was named Ischaemumjanarthanamiiin honour of Prof. M. K. Janarthanam, Professor of Botany, Goa University.
- It grows on low altitude lateritic plateaus in the outskirts of Bhagwan Mahavir National Park, Goa.
- The vegetation is exposed to extreme climatic conditions like desiccation in drier months and soils with low nutrient availability. However, withstanding these, the species has adapted to survive harsh conditions and blossom every monsoon.
- Muraingrasses are known for their ecological and economic importance, such as fodder.
- Globally 85 species are known from Ischaemum, of which 61 species are exclusively found in India.
- The Western Ghats have 40 species with the highest concentration of the genus.
Click here to access quizzes from previous days.