Kanooniyat is a legal website providing daily legal updates to its user base, comprising law students, law aspirants, lawyers and legal professionals, in the form of articles, opportunities and legal jobs. Social media links: Instagram, LinkedIn, Facebook.
About Kanooniyat Case Commentary Writing Competition:
This case commentary writing competition by Kanooniyat aims to promote inquisitiveness and a desire to better understand prominent judgements, amongst the participants. For the evaluation process, due emphasis will be laid on a candidate’s analysis of the judgement, encompassing understanding of facts of the case, creative approach, reasoning, research, and formatting and language used.
The media partner for this event is LawInternships (The online law school). They provide law students with a plethora of opportunities to intern according to one’s interest and aptitude.
The event is being conducted in collaboration with the Chambers of Advocate Jayant Bhatt. He is an erudite advocate who holds a dual Masters of Law from New York University and National University of Singapore. He is a member of the Supreme Court Bar Association and Delhi High Court Bar Association and deals with matters pertaining to criminal law, commercial litigation, dispute resolution etc. Advocate Bhatt, in addition to being a prolific writer, orator and mentor, is also a pioneer in the field of spreading legal awareness amongst the masses through his YouTube channel Sue You Soon.
Cases for the Competition:
We welcome submissions from eligible students on the following cases (any one):
1. Lt Col. Nitisha v. Union of India: 2021 SCC OnLine SC 261
2. In Re: Distribution of Essential Supplies and Services During Pandemic: 2021 SCC OnLine SC 339
3. Legal Consequences of the Separation of the Chagos Archipelago from Mauritius in 1965
4. In Re: Problems and Miseries of Migrant Labourers: 2020) 7 SCC 181
5. Public Interest Foundation and Ors. Vs. Union of India: (2019) 3 SCC 224
Eligibility for Kanooniyat Case Commentary Writing Competition:
- We look forward to participation from students (UG/ PG/Certifications/ Diploma) from any stream from any University/ College/ Institute in India.
- Multiple entries from one participant are not permitted.
- Co-authorship (Team of 2) is permitted.
Awards and Prizes:
- Winner: Rs. 2000 + Certificate of Merit
- Top 5 entries: Certificate of Appreciation
- Internship opportunities to top 3 winners, provided by LawInternships.
- Participation Certificates to all the participants.
- The case commentary must be written solely by the registered candidate (s) (co-authorship upto two is allowed), in English, and should not have been submitted for publication elsewhere.
- The minimum word limit for the case commentary is 800 words. There is no maximum word limit.
- All submissions have to be made in MS Word format and should be typed in Times New Roman, font size 12 and 1.5 line spacing.
- Footnotes should follow the Bluebook 20th Edition and shall be typed in Times New Roman, font size 10, and 1 line spacing.
- The page margins should be 1” or 2.54 cm on all sides.
- All text should be aligned as justified.
- All claims of the author (s), in the body of the manuscript, are expected to be backed by reasons along with proper citations and shall not be mere assertions.
- Any violation of rules shall result in direct disqualification.
- The submissions will be scrutinized through plagiarism software. Permissible limit of plagiarism is 20%.
Evaluation Criteria and Weightage:
1. Understanding of facts of the case (30 marks)
2. Analysis of the judgement (30 marks)
3. Lucidity and writing skills (25 marks)
4. References/citations used and formatting (15 marks)
Copyright of the Submissions:
- All the case commentaries submitted shall be the exclusive property of the organizers.
- The organizers shall be free to use the information/ views therein in any manner they require and deem fit.
- The decision of organizers in deciding the winner(s) shall be final and binding and no query, correspondence, etc. in this regard shall be entertained by the organizers.
- Case commentary submissions incompatible with the above rules and submission guidelines will not be considered for evaluation.
- The submission of entries to the competition implies acceptance of the above terms and conditions by the participant(s).
- Kanooniyat reserves the right to cancel the event at any point before the conduct of the event. In such a case, any fee paid as registration fee shall be refunded in full to the registered participants.
Registration and Submission Procedure:
- Participants are required to register for the Case Commentary Writing Competition by paying the registration fee. (Link Mentioned Below)
- Once the registration fee is paid, participants have to take a screenshot of the same and fill the registration form.
- After they fill the registration form, participants will receive an email acknowledging the same from our end which will also have the submission link for the case commentary. The registration shall be complete after this step.
- Participants will have to submit their case commentary using the submission form before the deadline.
- The participants are required to submit their documents by 11:59 PM, 8th August 2021, after which the submission form will not accept entries.
The participants are required to register for Kanooniyat’s case commentary writing competition by paying the registration fee of Rs. 200 (single author) or Rs. 350 (co-authors), through the payment link provided, before the registration deadline, i.e. 31st July 2021
- Payment Link: CLICK HERE FOR PAYMENT
- Registration Link: CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
|Last date to register||31 July 2021|
|Last date to submit||8 August 2021|
|Declaration of Results||15 August 2021|
|Distribution of Awards and Certificates||18 August 2021|
In case of any queries related to this case commentary writing competition, feel free to contact us at:
Phone no.: 7007873010, 8209992708
Email: [email protected] / [email protected]