Delhi High Court has pulled up the Delhi University DU for demanding the physical presence of the students who had filed an application for seeking the digital copy of their degree certificates and mark sheets.
While questioning the decision of the University, the Single Bench of Justice Prathiba M Singh stated that the Delhi University cannot force the students to physically come and collect their degree certificates during the time of a pandemic.
What’s wrong with the Delhi University… Why are you forcing them to make a physical appearance? This will defeat the whole purpose of issuing a digital degree certificate.’
After criticising the Delhi University DU for its lackadaisical approach, the Delhi High Court had constituted a committee to finalise the process of issuing digital degree certificates to students.
The said committee was supposed to have senior officials from the Delhi High Court’s IT Team, a member from National e-Governance Division (NeGD) of the Ministry of Electronics & IT, Joint Director Computer Centre, and two members from Digilocker.
The court had directed the said committee to finalise the following:
- The online link on the DU portal where the students can put in applications for issuance of their digital degree certificates. Alternatively, an e-mail address shall be provided where the Petitioners and similarly placed candidates can write an e-mail to obtain their degree certificates
- The timeline after receipt of the said email for verification and issuance of the degree certificate with the digital signature;
- Template for the degree certificate to be issued by email;
- Official to be responsible for affixing the digital signature and issuance of the same;
- A sample degree certificate in favour of one of the Petitioners, duly signed with the digital signature, shall also be generated;
- Timelines for transmission of past data to Digilocker from DU;
- Timelines for transmission of data periodically to Digilocker so that students can easily access their certificates, transcripts, marksheets, awards etc.