The India Smart Cities Fellowship Programme 2021 (ISCFP 2021) has been initiated by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs under the Smart Cities mission. The fellows will receive the opportunity to provide solutions to pressuring challenges being faced by India’s urban sector.
The development of Smart Cities is a step in the attempt to create an urban ecosystem that represents a comprehensive development of institutional, physical, social, and economic infrastructure to improve ease of living and attracting people and investments to urban areas. The India Smart Cities Fellowship is an initiative of the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) under the Smart Cities Mission to cultivate youth leadership and usher vibrancy in the design of India’s urban future.
- Induction: Introduction to the program via a two-week induction program
- Orientation: The Smart Cities Mission philosophy, its strategy, and its focus areas
- Assignment: The Fellows to take on the assigned tasks with confidence and enthusiasm
- Traits Needed: Relentless problem solving, perseverance, dedication, hard work, and creativity
Number of Fellows
60 Candidates will be selected for Fellowship Programme. Of this, a predetermined fraction of Fellows will be those who’s Fellowship will be extended from the ongoing cohort.
Eligibility: Fellowship Programme 2021
Graduates with 1st Division or minimum 60% marks; or, Post Graduates with 1st Division or minimum 60% marks; or, PhDs from premier institutions/universities.
The candidates to be considered for the Fellowship Programme should be from an institute of repute in the following fields, but not limited to:
- Urban Planning
- Urban Design
- Engineering and Infrastructure
- Information and Technology
- Data Science
- Artificial Intelligence
- Machine Learning
- Data Governance
- Urban Mobility
- Social Development
- Climate Resilience
- Disaster Management
- Urban Competitiveness
Fellowship Programme: Preference will be given to persons with work experience in the relevant field supported by published work/ policy papers/appraisal/monitoring of projects & schemes etc.
- Excellent computer skills and the ability to work on ICT applications.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Exposure to data analytics would be an added strength of the candidate.
Fellowship Programme: Not be more than 35 years as on the last date of receiving the applications.
Role Description and Responsibilities
- The India Smart Cities Fellow will be engaged in city-specific projects, through the Smart City Special Purpose Vehicles to provide solutions to city-specific issues.
- The Fellows would be based out of Delhi for the first 5 months and out of a Smart City for the rest of the months.
- During their initial stay in Delhi, the Fellows will be involved in project ideation, workshops, and review meetings. They will subsequently relocate to a Smart City for project development and pilot.
- The India Smart Cities Fellow will also provide the necessary support to Mission Director, SCM, and/or, CEOs of selected Smart Cities in terms of analytics, research, documentation, independent assessment, visualization, or any other related activities including reports, posters, dossiers, etc.
- They will submit the following documents on the activities carried out by them in the form of:
- Monthly Progress report
- Quarterly Progress presentation
- Mid-Term Progress presentation
- Annual Progress presentation
- Project report
- Compendium report
- Individual report
A consolidated amount of Rs. 60,000 per month per Fellow (inclusive of local transport allowance) will be paid to selected Smart Cities Fellows.
Reimbursement for hotel accommodation of up to Rs. 1,500 per day, and a consolidated amount of Rs. 350 per day for travel within the city and food bills shall be allowed during domestic tours.
The Fellows will be deployed in New Delhi till their projects are finalized. The Fellows may be required to be stationed in any of the Smart Cities as per requirement. The decision of the project city will rest on the Mission Director (SCM).
Period of Engagement
The period of engagement will be one year. This engagement may be extended up to 1 additional year on the basis of the Fellows’ performance, with the approval of the Mission Director (SCM).
A certificate regarding successful completion of fellowship shall be issued by the Mission Director (Smart Cities Mission), Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, Govt of India. In case a person leaves before completion of the contract period, he/she will not get any work certificate.
- Applications will be invited in a prescribed format online, via the webpage. This application will be open to the general public for up to 45 days.
- The applications will undergo the necessary scrutiny via checks for de-duplication and ineligibility and will be marked based on pre-decided criteria for educational qualification, prior research experience, and work experience provided, along with a Statement of Purpose and a Concept Proposal requested in the online application.
- The final selection of candidates will be done via personal interviews.
Please write to iscfp[at]niua.org with any questions about the program.
At Kanooniyat, it is our endeavour to provide authentic information from verified organisations. However, it is strongly advised that you do your own research on the legitimacy of the particular organisation and the opportunity before applying or making any monetary transactions.