Project 39A (NLU Delhi) is keen to develop a robust and rewarding internship programme that will provide meaningful exposure to the complexities and nuances of the criminal justice system in India. Towards that aim, we are pleased to introduce our second internship policy, under which we seek to accept interns on a rolling basis from March 2021 to March 2022.
About Project 39A:
Project 39A is a formal part of NLU Delhi and undertakes research and pro bono litigation efforts on issues concerning the criminal justice system in India. This effort is inspired by Article 39-A of the Indian Constitution and uses empirical research as an integral part of re-examining the criminal justice system. In its current scope of work, Project 39A aims to trigger new conversations on legal aid, torture, forensics, mental health and criminal law, and the death penalty.
The different kinds of work undertaken are:
- Research: Our research efforts lay significant emphasis on fieldwork and empirical analysis. Efforts involve work on various aspects of the following issues:
- forensic science with a particular focus on DNA forensics
- legal aid in the criminal justice system
- mental health and criminal justice
- administration of the death penalty
- Litigation: To ensure competent pro bono legal representation for prisoners sentenced to death in various parts of India, irrespective of the crime;
The internship is open to students in India and other countries, enrolled in a recognized undergraduate or post-graduate Programme in the law, humanities, social sciences, management or media and communications. Those enrolled in other programmes may apply but preference will be given to those enrolled in programmes listed above.
Candidates will be asked to undertake tasks that may involve assisting with litigation activities, research projects or initiatives in public outreach. While the organisation shall attempt to account for the interests expressed by the interns, it reserves the right to allocate tasks as it deems fit as per its requirements. All members of Project 39A undertake administrative duties and therefore interns will also be expected to assist in administrative matters. Interns will be required to observe the working hours of Project 39A and work from its offices only.
Internships are full-time and for a period of minimum 4 weeks to a maximum of 12 weeks. Candidates must indicate the exact dates in their application. Interns shall be based out of our offices on the NLU Delhi campus in Sector14, Dwarka, New Delhi 100078.
While applications for part-time interns are considered, there is a strong preference in favour of full-time interns. Part-time interns, if selected, are required to intern for a minimum of 12 weeks.
Interns will be paid a stipend of Rs 10,000/- (Rupees Ten Thousand Only) for every four week period of internship undergone. Interns on a part-time internship will be paid a stipend of Rs. 5,000/- (Rupees Five Thousand Only) for every four week period of internship undergone.
Interested applicants must apply through the online application form which is accessible on HERE Applications that do not follow this process will not be entertained.
- Project 39A reserves the right not to fill internship positions.
- All applicants are required to apply two months prior to the first of the proposed month of internship.
- Interns for a specific month will be finalised and intimated 6 weeks before the commencement of the month. Only successful applicants will be contacted.
- Project 39A will not bear travel and accommodation expenses incurred by the interns during the period of the internship.
- Project 39A works on behalf of all prisoners sentenced to death, regardless of the offence involved.
- This internship programme is supported by grants received by Project 39A.
- Students based in Delhi interested in a part-time internship while pursuing their undergraduate or postgraduate courses may follow the procedure outlined above, specifying in the relevant dropdown their interest in applying for such a position.
- In light of the Covid-19 pandemic and recognizing the importance of social distancing, Project 39A has adopted a work from home model for its internship programme until further notice.
At Kanooniyat, it is our endeavour to provide authentic information from verified organisations. However, it is strongly advised that you do your own research on the legitimacy of the particular organisation and the opportunity before applying or making any monetary transactions.