The office of Rajya Sabha MP Binoy Viswam is offering two internship positions to work in the office of the MP for a minimum period of 2 Parliament sessions starting with the Monsoon Session of 2021.
About the MP Binoy Viswam:
Com. Binoy Viswam represents the state of Kerala in the Rajya Sabha and is the Secretary of the National Council, Communist Party of India. He is a member of the Standing Committees on Science and Technology, Environment, Forests and Climate Change in the Parliament. With over 40 years of political experience, Com. Binoy Viswam has previously served as the Minister for Forests and Housing in the Kerala Government (2006-2011) and was a 2 time MLA 2001-2011 in the Kerala Legislative Assembly(2001- 2011). He is actively engaged in issues relating to social justice, human rights, education, health, workers’ rights, environment, gender equality, science and technology, amongst others.
About the Internship:
The internship provides a unique exposure to the contours of public policy and law making through the lens of a parliamentarian. The primary role of the intern would be to provide extensive research support to the MP for his various works and would also include drafting parliamentary questions for the MP, preparing speeches for zero hour debates, raising matters of public importance, drafting private members’ bills etc. In addition, the internship also provides the opportunity to engage with leading experts in various fields on important public policy and developmental issues.
- Legislations- Drafting brief notes/amendments on legislation introduced, preparing private members bills
- Questions- Preparing questions that can be asked of the various Ministries, and to ensure follow up on the questions
- Calling Attention- Prepare notices on issues that the MP can raise
- Letters/Call to Action- The MP receives many letters relating to various issues from citizens- a part of your role will be to prepare responses and document these letters
- Research & advocacy around issues of public importance
- Any other task that may be assigned to you
The work requires proactive individuals who are interested in the field of law-making and public policy. Applicants must fulfil the following criteria:
- Reading and writing proficiency in English. Candidates with proficiency in Malayalam will be given preference.
- Candidate must have at least a Bachelor’s degree in any academic discipline.
- Active interest in Parliament, Politics and functioning of the Government.
- Academic or policy research experience.
Duration and Place of Internship:
The internship is offered for a minimum period of 2 Parliament sessions starting with the Monsoon Session of 2021. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the internship will be undertaken remotely.
Interested persons must email the following to [email protected] with the subject ““Internship Opportunity under Binoy Viswam”.
- A statement of purpose of not more than 500 words explaining your interest in this internship.
- Writing/Research sample – any publications/newspaper opinion pieces/ blog posts/ research document/etc – If you do not have one, please do not write one afresh.
- Anything else you wish to showcase that would highlight your engagement with political work or you think worthwhile of sharing.
Last date to submit the application is 22nd June 2021. Shortlisted candidates will be called for further rounds of assessment and interview which will take place between 3rd July-10th July, 2021. Only applicants selected for interview rounds will be informed.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted via email. If you do not hear from us within 3 weeks after the deadline, please assume that your application has not succeeded.
- This internship offers a monetary compensation of Rs. 5000/- per month to each intern.
- The office of MP Binoy Viswam is an equal opportunity employer and has a zero tolerance policy towards any discriminatory behaviour.
- The MP reserves the right to conduct further selection rounds along with the right to not fill the internship position.
- The position is political in nature, the selected interns are expected to conduct themselves in a manner that does not work against the interests of the Communist Party of India and the Member of Parliament, Comrade Binoy Viswam.
- There is a strict confidentiality policy that applies to all work related to this internship.
For Official Notification: CLICK HERE
Honoring Pride Month, Kanooniyat is organising a National Amendment Writing Competition. Registrations close on 19th June, 2021. For details, click here.
- Legal Internship Opportunity at Lex Commerci: Apply Now
- Legal Internship Opportunity at MyAdvo.in: Apply Now
- Online Internship Opportunity at Law Care Legal Consultants LLP: Apply Now
- Research and Innovation intern at Teach for India, Hyderabad: Apply Now
- Legal Internship Opportunity at MNG Legal: Apply by June 10, 2021
For more internship opportunities: CLICK HERE
At Kanooniyat, it is our endeavour to provide authentic information from verified organisations. However, it is strongly advised that you do your own research on the legitimacy of the particular organisation. In case you are applying for internships, it’s strongly recommended that you clarify the terms of internship including the grant of stipend (if any) before beginning your internship.