“No matter where you are from, your dreams are valid.” -Lupita Nyong’o
IDIA Charitable Trust (IDIA or Increasing Diversity by Increasing Access to Legal Education) is a pan-India movement founded by Prof. (Dr.) Shamnad Basheer to train underprivileged students and help transform them into leading lawyers and community advocates. IDIA is premised on the notion that access to premier legal education empowers marginalized communities and helps them help themselves. IDIA selects and trains students from underprivileged backgrounds (IDIA Trainees) to crack top law entrance examinations in India. Once they are admitted to top law colleges, it provides a scholarship to these students (IDIA Scholars) that comprises financial support, training and mentorship among other things.
Read more about IDIA here: CLICK HERE
ABOUT THE COMPETITION
To pay homage to revered Prof. (Dr.) Basheer and to remember his noble vision, IDIA Punjab Chapter organizes an Essay Writing Competition to contribute to the training of the underprivileged children and taking them a step closer to manifesting their dreams of pursuing legal education.
- To encourage the young creative minds of the country to come forward and present their knowledge and views on the broad spectrum of contemporary legal developments in the world and in India.
- To use proceeds for promoting diversity, inclusivity and accessibility in legal education such as towards conducting sensitizations and training underprivileged students for law entrance examinations.
The competition will be open to all Indian students pursuing any undergraduate/postgraduate degree. The event is not restricted only to law students.
For the brochure of the Competition here, click here .
THEMES FOR ESSAY
- Constitutional Validity of the Citizenship (Amendment) Act, 2019
- The South China Sea dispute
- International Law Perspective on the India-China-Pakistan tussle
- LGBTQIA Rights and Their Progression in the Indian Society
- Abrogation of Article 370 of the Constitution of India
- Patent battle for Licensing of the Covid-19 vaccine
- Constitutional Analysis of the Ayodhya Verdict
- Contempt of Court: Prashant Bhushan Controversy
The last date for the registration is September 19th.
The last date for the submission is September 29th.
AMOUNT FOR PARTICIPATION
- Contribution amount for single author: Rs. 100/-
- Contribution amount for co-authors: Rs. 150/-
Co-authorship upto two authors is permitted.
- Word limit: 1500-2500 words (excluding footnotes).
- Individual attachments: Name; contact details; current academic status (Year, University etc.); undertaking as to guarantee of originality.
- The file name must consist only the name(s) of the Author(s).
- Citation– Uniform style of citation should be followed throughout the essay.
- Plagiarized content should not be submitted.
- Entries should be emailed to [email protected] under the subject title “IDIA Essay Writing Competition – [Name(s) of Author(s)]” in Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx) format.
- Font and size for the essay: Times New Roman | 12
- Font and size for footnotes: Times New Roman | 10
- Line spacing: 1.5
- Margins- Left 1.5 Inch and Right 1.0 Inch, Top 1 Inch and bottom 1 inch.
- Certificates of Participation to be awarded to all.
- Certificates of Merit to be awarded to the Top 3 meritorious submissions.
- The best submission shall win a cash prize of Rs. 1000/- along with an internship opportunity at IDIA.
- The second-best submission shall win a prize money of Rs. 500/-.
- The best 3 submissions may be considered for publication on the official platform of IDIA.
Payment is to be made at +918800450916 via Google Pay or Paytm UPI.
A screenshot of the transaction and the transaction ID shall be uploaded in the form. To register, click here
Queries regarding the competition should be mailed to [email protected]
You can also contact:
- Tanya Mayal (+918196019150)
- Arnav Tandon (+918800450916)