About Urban Fellows Programme (UFP)
India’s urban transition is unprecedented in scale and complexity. Within it lie both the opportunities of economic development and greater employment as well as the challenges of persistent inequality, extreme deprivation and environmental degradation. The UFP offers the chance to be a part of shaping this transition.
The UFP is scholarship-based, nine-month, full-time, residential, interdisciplinary and based at the IIHS City Campus in Bengaluru. It seeks to combine classroom teaching, site-based applied learning, work in live projects, and external internships to introduce Fellows to diverse forms of urban practice. The Programme is open to recent graduates and young professionals from varied educational backgrounds or practice domains. The sixth batch of the UFP will graduate in May 2022.
About UFP 2022-23
The UFP is scholarship-based, nine-month, full-time, residential, interdisciplinary and based at the IIHS City Campus in Bengaluru. It seeks to combine classroom teaching, site-based applied learning, work in live projects, and external internships to introduce Fellows to diverse forms of urban practice. The Programme is open to recent graduates and young professionals from varied educational backgrounds or practice domains.
Through the UFP, Fellows will:
- Understand issues of urbanisation in India and the Global South from multiple disciplinary perspectives.
- Learn from practice as young professionals seeking to enter the urban sector.
- Develop skills necessary to analyse, understand, and identify key urban issues in India.
- Build a foundation to design interdisciplinary urban interventions.
- Network with diverse global, national, and local thought leaders, entrepreneurs, and change makers.
- Learn from a diverse and experienced faculty who bring together theory and practice.
An ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s Degree in any subject or discipline and their age should not exceed 30 years at the time of the UFP’s commencement. Therefore, candidates should be born on or after 1 August 1992. The Programme may, subject to facts and circumstances, consider non-degree training and certification programmes completed after 10+2 schooling.
Candidates without any formal education after their 10+2 may also apply, especially if they have valuable experience of formal or informal work in urban sectors.
The two-step UFP admissions process is as follows:
The Written Application
The first step is an evaluation of a written application that is structured to assess curiosity, inventive thinking, alignment with the UFP, as well as a strong desire to engage with urban questions, issues and challenges.
Applications are assessed within their respective disciplinary categories: for example, social scientists with other social scientists; engineers with other engineers; architects with other architects and so on.
Diversity of Identity and Life Experience
As part of the assessment of written applications, points are also accorded on the basis of the following criteria to ensure a diverse UFP class:
- Gender (including transgender)
- Education of the Mother and Father
- 10+2 Schooling in Non-Metropolitan Cities
- Type of Secondary Schooling (Central Public, State Public, Private)
- Differential Physical Ability
Individual applicants can potentially score points across multiple categories as applicable. However, the total of diversity points shall exceed no more than 15% of the total score of any candidate.
A final set of around 100-150 candidates, depending on total number of applications, will be shortlisted for the interview stage.
In the interview stage, an assessment is conducted of the candidates’ curiosity, inventiveness and alignment with the UFP so that their expectations are well aligned with what is being offered in the UFP. All efforts are made to make the interview convivial, friendly and enabling – an opportunity for the candidate to showcase the best of themselves.
Final offers for admission to the UFP will be made based on a combination of scores from the written application and the interview.
IIHS Diversity Statement
IIHS aims to create a diverse, inclusive, open, safe and enabling learning environment. It is committed to the principle of not discriminating against individuals on the basis of personal beliefs or characteristics such as caste, class, religion, region, ethnicity, race, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
The UFP at IIHS is part of this commitment to create supportive teaching and learning environments. Fellows are expected to aspire to the highest standards of ethics in their personal and professional interactions. IIHS strongly encourages applications from women, persons with disabilities, and those from economically and socially excluded communities.
- Virtual Internship Opportunity at Office of Ram Mohan Naidu Kinjarapu (Lok Sabha MP): Apply Now!
- Online Internship Opportunity at ubAdvocate under the guidance of Jeevan Prakash, AOR, Supreme Court: Apply Now!
- Policy Internship(with 10K stipend) at Internet Freedom Foundation, Delhi: Apply Now!
- Legal Internship Opportunity at SolarWinds, Bangalore: Apply Now!
- Internship Opportunity at Office of Dr Fauzia Khan (Rajya Sabha MP): Apply Now!
- Legal Internship Opportunity(with stipend) at Law Office of Divesh Chawla, Mumbai: Apply Now!
- Virtual Legal Internship Opportunity at Law Office of Avish Malhotra: Apply Now!
- Legal Internship Opportunity at Wadhwa Law Chambers, Delhi: Apply Now!
- Virtual Internship Opportunity at Office of Dr Amar Patnaik (Rajya Sabha MP): Apply Now!
- Call for Applications | Faculty Recruitment at National Law School of India University (NLSIU), Bangalore: Apply by Dec 31!
- Legislative Assistants to Members of Parliament – LAMP Fellowship 2023-24: Apply by Dec 29!
- Legal Internship Opportunity at Chambers of Aman Rastogi, Delhi: Apply Now!
- Call for Academic and Research Internship at National Forensic Sciences University, Gandhinagar: Apply by Jan 03!
- Call for Interns | Scaling City Institutions for India (SCI-FI) at Centre for Policy Research: Apply Now!
- Legal Internship Opportunity at Noble Legal(Advocates & Solicitors), Delhi: Apply Now!
- Legal Internship Opportunity at Bridge Legal India, Bangalore: Apply Now!
- Legal Internship Opportunity at Lex AV Attorneys LLP, Noida: Apply Now!
- Legal Internship Opportunity at AK Bhambri and Associates, New Delhi: Apply by Dec 31!
- Call for Interns | Data Protection Intern at Tsaaro, Bangalore: Apply Now!
- Virtual Legal Internship Opportunity at Ostara Legal: Apply by Dec 26!
At Kanooniyat, it is our endeavour to provide authentic information from verified organisations. However, it is strongly advised that you do your own research on the legitimacy of the particular organisation. In case you are applying for internships, it’s strongly recommended that you clarify the terms of internship including the grant of stipend (if any) before beginning your internship.
If you have had a bad experience by availing any of the opportunities that we post at Kanooniyat.com, kindly fill this form so that we can blacklist such organizations and take appropriate action against them.