India Labourline is open to accepting applications from law students for a 2-month internship.
About India Labourline
India Labourline is a pro-bono helpline for workers that helps them with issues of their livelihood through legal aid and mediation. It started operating in July 2021, as a direct response to the dire situation faced by the lakhs of workers in the year of abrupt Covid lockdowns, to give support to informal migrant and local workers. It was started by Working Peoples’ Coalition- a pan India network of various organisations who work to address concerns of informal workers, with the help of Aajeevika Bureau.
India Labourline, headquartered in Mumbai, receives calls from workers throughout the country, working as labourers, drivers, in factories, as security guards, home-based workers, etc. The tele counsellors are trained to provide the first level of counselling/intervention over the phone to workers and guide them through various subsequent steps to resolve their issues of wage theft, bondage, physical and verbal abuse, and non-payment of compensation following accidents in hazardous workplaces.
About the Internship Opportunity
As interns at India Labourline, your work will give you a direct exposure to issues faced by the informal sector workers in India. It will help you develop a keen understanding of various stakeholders at play in ensuring implementation and protection of the fundamental and labour rights of some of the most vulnerable class of people in India. You will have a hands-on experience of Labour laws and their use in a practical real-world setting.
You will also be providing legal inputs to the tele-counsellors who advise the workers in the first instance.
Selected applicants will be expected to maintain the highest ethical standards and help us progress to better serve the needs of the workers in need of our assistance.
We are looking for interns who will participate in:
Research work and writing: Carry out research on various labour laws and precedents on specific issues. Help draft simplified legal literacy material of various labour laws for training and outreach.
Fieldwork: Accompany the field team during outreach and legal- aid work.
Internship will be for a period of 2 months.
Mumbai. You will be expected to work in a hybrid model. You will need to be in the office at Worli, Mumbai or in the field for part of the time. Part of the work may be done from home.
We are looking for students who have already studied Labour laws in the course of their law programs.
Students from the 4th, and 5th year enrolled in recognised 5-year law programs;
Students from the 2nd and 3rd year enrolled in recognised 3-year law programs,
students from recognised LL.M. programs at any Indian university.
How to Apply
We will accept applications for this round until 30 June 2022.
To apply, please email as an attachment your CV along with a brief cover letter (300 words) explaining why you are interested in this internship. Please also indicate in the cover letter that you have finished studying labour laws in the course of your law program.
Ensure to send your CV and covering letter merged into a single PDF file as an attachment to the email with the subject line: Application for internship.
Email your applications to: [email protected]
If you have any questions regarding the application, please send them to [email protected]
- 9th Professor V.S. Mani Memorial International Law Moot Court Competition by Seedling School of Law and Governance, Jaipur National University: Register by Jan 17!
- CoP | International Conference on Human Rights: Challenges and Solutions [11th Feb 2023] by Maharishi Law School: Submit by Jan 10!
- 2023 NHRC-RGNUL Human Rights National Moot Court Competition: Register by Jan 20!
- Virtual Internship Opportunity at Office of Ram Mohan Naidu Kinjarapu (Lok Sabha MP): Apply Now!
- Online Internship Opportunity at ubAdvocate under the guidance of Jeevan Prakash, AOR, Supreme Court: Apply Now!
- Policy Internship(with 10K stipend) at Internet Freedom Foundation, Delhi: Apply Now!
- Legal Internship Opportunity at SolarWinds, Bangalore: Apply Now!
- Legal Jobs – 30th Dec 2022
- Internship Opportunity at Office of Dr Fauzia Khan (Rajya Sabha MP): Apply Now!
- Legal Internship Opportunity(with stipend) at Law Office of Divesh Chawla, Mumbai: Apply Now!
- Virtual Legal Internship Opportunity at Law Office of Avish Malhotra: Apply Now!
- Legal Internship Opportunity at Wadhwa Law Chambers, Delhi: Apply Now!
- Virtual Internship Opportunity at Office of Dr Amar Patnaik (Rajya Sabha MP): Apply Now!
- Call for Applications | Faculty Recruitment at National Law School of India University (NLSIU), Bangalore: Apply by Dec 31!
- Legislative Assistants to Members of Parliament – LAMP Fellowship 2023-24: Apply by Dec 29!
- Legal Internship Opportunity at Chambers of Aman Rastogi, Delhi: Apply Now!
- Webinar on ” International Trade Rules and Incoterms 2020 ” by Gujarat Maritime University (GMU) in association with the International Chamber of Commerce: Dec 29
- Blog Writing Series on International Humanitarian Law- CASH, RGNUL: Submit Now!
- 7th Pranita Mehta Memorial Essay Writing Competition by Corporate Law Society, NLU Jodhpur: Register by Dec 31!
- Call for Academic and Research Internship at National Forensic Sciences University, Gandhinagar: Apply by Jan 03!
At Kanooniyat, it is our endeavour to provide authentic information from verified organisations. However, it is strongly advised that you do your own research on the legitimacy of the particular organisation. In case you are applying for internships, it’s strongly recommended that you clarify the terms of internship including the grant of stipend (if any) before beginning your internship.
If you have had a bad experience by availing any of the opportunities that we post at Kanooniyat.com, kindly fill this form so that we can blacklist such organizations and take appropriate action against them.