About CNLU Academic and Debating Committee (ADC)
Academic and Debating Committee (ADC) is one of the most active committees of Chanakya National Law University. It regulates various academic and debating activities of the students of CNLU. It aims to foster an active parliamentary debate culture in the university and to provide every student with a platform to engage in fruitful academic discussions about pertinent issues through Debates and Discussions. Under the umbrella of ADC, we have various activities like English Debating, Hindi Debating, Quiz, JAM, Turn-Coat, Poetry
(Hindi & English), and several academic activities like panel discussions and seminars.
Under the ADC, debating sessions and discussions are conducted every evening after the classes where senior batch students and ADC student members guide the juniors and interact with them in respect to various activities.
About the Panel Discussion
Academic and Debating Committee (ADC) of Chanakya National Law University, Patna is organising a Panel Discussion on “Dialogues on Inclusion and Exclusion – a Conversation About Intersection of law, Educational Institutions and the LGBTQIA+ Community” The ultra-conservative society where we live in, has been the centre point of discrimination and delegitimization of the issues faced by the LGBTQIA+ community. Many from the community often come to the educational institutions hoping for them to be an inclusive, safe
and accepting space. But the conservative mindsets, lack of inclusive policies and awareness further act as hindrances in their quest of seeking equality. In order to raise awareness regarding these issues and to facilitate a nuanced understanding of issues faced in legal spaces, we invite stakeholders from different parts of the country to join us in this panel discussion.
We hope that this panel discussion helps us navigate through the structural and policy reforms that would make educational institutions and legal spaces more inclusive.
About the Panellists
Rohin Bhatt: He is a queer lawyer and a queer rights activist from India. He is graduated this year with a Master of Bioethics degree from Harvard Medical School and is the co-founder of the Indian Bioethics Project. He writes on a wide range of topics including queerness, reproductive rights, bioethics, constitutional law and the effects that fascism has on human rights on both academic and public platforms.
Anish Gawande: He is a writer and translator. After graduating with a degree in comparative literature and society from Columbia University, he moved back to India to work within electoral politics and run the Dara Shikoh Fellowship, an interdisciplinary arts residency in Kashmir. Anish is the founder of Pink List India, the country’s first list of politicians supporting LGBTQ+ rights, and is passionate about the intersection of queerness and politics in the global South. He is currently a Rhodes Scholar at the University of Oxford, where he is pursuing a master’s in intellectual history and public policy.
Swati Bidhan Baruah: An advocate at the Guwahati High Court. Swati is a transgender rights activist from Assam and is a founder of the All Assam Transgender Association. She is the first transgender person in India to be appointed as al Judge to the Lok Adalat in Guwahati. Swati filed one of the first cases in India seeking permission from the court to undergo sex re-assignment surgery. She has filed several petitions before the Guwahati High Court and also in the Supreme Court seeking implementation of the directions of the Supreme Court in NALSA v. Union of India and for protection of rights of transgender persons in Assam and the North East. She also filed a PIL at Guwahati High Court challenging the Ayushman Bharat for accommodating transgenders under the said scheme.
About the Moderator
Vaivab Das: They completed their M.A. in Gender Studies from Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS) and is currently a PhD candidate at IIT Delhi. They have been constantly working towards the promotion of Human Rights and its legal advocacy. Their research revolves around the areas of Gender, Sexuality, the Law (concerning questions of citizenship, legal legibility & epistemic injustices) and Society.
Date & Time
- Date: 3rd July, 2022
- Time: 05:00 PM to 06:30 PM.
Registration & Joining Details
Note: This discussion is open to all. Certificate of participation shall be given to the registered participants.
- 9th Professor V.S. Mani Memorial International Law Moot Court Competition by Seedling School of Law and Governance, Jaipur National University: Register by Jan 17!
- CoP | International Conference on Human Rights: Challenges and Solutions [11th Feb 2023] by Maharishi Law School: Submit by Jan 10!
- 2023 NHRC-RGNUL Human Rights National Moot Court Competition: Register by Jan 20!
- Virtual Internship Opportunity at Office of Ram Mohan Naidu Kinjarapu (Lok Sabha MP): Apply Now!
- Online Internship Opportunity at ubAdvocate under the guidance of Jeevan Prakash, AOR, Supreme Court: Apply Now!
- Policy Internship(with 10K stipend) at Internet Freedom Foundation, Delhi: Apply Now!
- Legal Internship Opportunity at SolarWinds, Bangalore: Apply Now!
- Legal Jobs – 30th Dec 2022
- Internship Opportunity at Office of Dr Fauzia Khan (Rajya Sabha MP): Apply Now!
- Legal Internship Opportunity(with stipend) at Law Office of Divesh Chawla, Mumbai: Apply Now!
- Virtual Legal Internship Opportunity at Law Office of Avish Malhotra: Apply Now!
- Legal Internship Opportunity at Wadhwa Law Chambers, Delhi: Apply Now!
- Virtual Internship Opportunity at Office of Dr Amar Patnaik (Rajya Sabha MP): Apply Now!
- Call for Applications | Faculty Recruitment at National Law School of India University (NLSIU), Bangalore: Apply by Dec 31!
- Legislative Assistants to Members of Parliament – LAMP Fellowship 2023-24: Apply by Dec 29!
- Legal Internship Opportunity at Chambers of Aman Rastogi, Delhi: Apply Now!
- Webinar on ” International Trade Rules and Incoterms 2020 ” by Gujarat Maritime University (GMU) in association with the International Chamber of Commerce: Dec 29
- Blog Writing Series on International Humanitarian Law- CASH, RGNUL: Submit Now!
- 7th Pranita Mehta Memorial Essay Writing Competition by Corporate Law Society, NLU Jodhpur: Register by Dec 31!
- Call for Academic and Research Internship at National Forensic Sciences University, Gandhinagar: Apply by Jan 03!
At Kanooniyat, it is our endeavour to provide authentic information from verified organisations. However, it is strongly advised that you do your own research on the legitimacy of the particular organisation and the opportunity before applying or making any monetary transactions.
If you have had a bad experience by availing any of the opportunities that we post at Kanooniyat.com, kindly fill this form so that we can blacklist such organizations and take appropriate action against them.