About World Bank Legal Vice Presidency
The World Bank Legal Vice Presidency offers highly-motivated law students an opportunity to be exposed to the mission and work of the World Bank and that of the Legal Vice Presidency. The World Bank Legal Internship Program allows individuals to bring new perspectives, innovative ideas, and latest research experiences into the World Bank’s daily operations and improve their legal skills while working in a multicultural environment.
The objective of the program is to provide you first-hand experiences of the day-to-day operations of the World Bank by closely collaborating with staff in the Legal Vice Presidency. As part of our team, working directly with outstanding and inspiring development professionals and senior management, you will get the chance to contribute to the legal services offered by the Legal Vice Presidency as well as participate in high-profile events and conferences organized during the term of your internship.
World Bank Legal Internship Program
The World Bank Legal Internship Program is offered thrice a year for a period of maximum three months at World Bank Headquarters in Washington, D.C. and in certain selected country offices for currently enrolled law school students.
- Do you hold citizenship of any IBRD member state?
- Are you currently enrolled in an LLB, JD, LLM, SJD, PhD, or equivalent program?
- Do you have an excellent command of the English language?
If you have answered yes to all these questions, you are eligible to be an intern in the Legal Vice Presidency. Preference shall be given to candidates who possess a decent command of a second language, especially if that is one of the working languages of IBRD (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
Applications from eligible international as well as U.S.-based students are equally encouraged.
Summer Internship Program: Application period will commence on December 1 and end on December 31 (Internship period is for 10-12 weeks, typically between June and August, depending on prevailing needs). This is an excellent opportunity for students looking to gain full-time professional experiences at the World Bank during the summer months while enrolled in a law program.
Fall Internship Program: Application period will commence on April 1 and end on April 30 (Proposed internship period is for 10-12 weeks, typically between September and November, depending on prevailing needs). This is an excellent opportunity for students looking to gain professional experiences at the World Bank in the form of externships during the academic year while enrolled in a full-time law program or for those enrolled in part-time and/or evening law programs. According to U.S. Department of Homeland Security rules, students authorized to participate in pre-completion OPT may work part-time (20 hours or less per week) while school is in session.
Spring Internship Program: Application period will commence on September 1 and end on September 30 (Proposed internship period is for 10-12 weeks, typically between March and May, depending on prevailing needs). This is an excellent opportunity for students looking to gain professional experiences at the World Bank in the form of externships during the academic year while enrolled in a full-time law program or for those enrolled in part-time and/or evening law programs. According to U.S. Department of Homeland Security rules, students authorized to participate in pre-completion OPT may work part-time (20 hours or less per week) while school is in session.
All applications must be submitted during respective application periods.
Internship at Country Offices: The Legal Vice Presidency has limited its internships in the field to offices where a lawyer from the Legal Vice Presidency is present.
Interns will likely be involved in a plethora of tasks, as they arise during the term of the Internship Program, such as:
- Conducting a variety of legal assignments under the direction of the supervising lawyer(s).
- Conducting research on assigned issues, using existing law files and alternative sources (e.g., computer-assisted searches using the internet, intranet and/or other databases), analyzing information, and summarizing findings.
- Conducting comparative legal analyses on a range of issues in a given area, identifying legal and policy issues, researching relevant precedents, and proposing appropriate solutions.
- Participating in task/project teams with the supervising lawyer(s).
- Assisting in the preparation and organization of conferences and meetings.
- Performing ad hoc assignments as requested by the supervising lawyer(s).
How to Apply:
- Statement of Interest
- Proof of enrollment in a law degree (LLB, JD, LLM, SJD, PhD, or equivalent) and academic transcript(s).
- Short essay providing a response to a research question posed by the Legal Vice Presidency for the prevailing application period.
Visa: Students partaking in the World Bank Legal Internship Program must have valid student visa documents sponsored by their educational institutions. The World Bank shall only assist attainment of visa documents for participants of the World Bank Legal Internship Program in exceptional cases.
Cost: The World Bank shall not remunerate participants of the World Bank Legal Internship Program in the form of monetary fees/compensation. Each World Bank Legal Intern must however be remunerated in accordance with World Bank Group policies and standards in the form of (i) monetary fees/compensation paid by the university or other sponsoring organization and acceptable to the Bank; or (ii) academic credit equivalent to the Bank’s fee schedule. Hence, students partaking in the World Bank Legal Internship Program must secure appropriate funding sources for the duration of their internships.
Medical Insurance: World Bank Legal Interns are responsible for their own medical insurance and any cost(s) arising from accidents and/or illness incurred during the internship period and must show proof of a valid major global medical insurance coverage.
Selection Process: World Bank Legal Interns shall be selected through a competitive selection process. The World Bank Group is an equal opportunity employer.
Onboarding: The World Bank Legal Vice Presidency shall organize a brief onboarding session at the beginning of the Summer, Fall, and Spring Internship Program for the incoming cohort.
Evaluations on Performance: The World Bank shall not provide evaluation on the performance of participants in the World Bank’s Legal Internship Program.
Please note that applying or partaking in the World Bank Legal Internship Program does not constitute a promise or guarantee of employment at the World Bank upon completion of the Program.
- Legal Internship at Chamber of Advocate Pijush K. Roy, Supreme Court: Apply by Feb 15!
- Legal Internship at BeIN Legal LLP: Apply Now!
- Legal Internship at KS Legal & Associates, Chennai: Apply Now!
- Research Internship with Professor Dr Bimal N Patel – Member-Designate – UN International Law Commission at Rashtriya Raksha University: Apply by Jan 31!
- Virtual Legal Internship at Lex Walk Foundation: Apply Now!
- Legal Internship Opportunity at Mandla & Singh Law Chambers: Apply Now!
- Intern – United Nations: Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific, New Delhi, India (Apply Now)
- Competition Commission of India (CCI) Internship Programme (Mar 2022): Apply by Feb 1!
- Virtual Legal Internship(s) at AapkaConsultant.com and Legal Shots (YT Channel): Apply Now!
- Virtual Legal Internship (with stipend) at Remote Lawyer: Apply Now!
- Legal Internship at IN10 Media Network, Mumbai: Apply Now!
- Legal Internship at Sonisvision: Apply Now!
- Legal Internship (with stipend) at Sinha & Company Advocates, Kolkata: Apply Now!
- Legal Assessment Internship at Sarvaank Associates, New Delhi: Apply Now!
- Legal Assessment Internship at ALL IP Care, New Delhi: Apply Now!
- Virtual Legal Internship Opportunity at Law Office of Adv Nipun Saxena, New Delhi: Apply by Jan 30!
- Legal Internship Opportunity at Office of Adv Ajit B Kale, Aurangabad: Apply Now!
- Legal Internship Opportunity at Akash Raj Law Chamber, Patna: Apply Now!
- Legal Internship Opportunity (with Stipend) at Oum Law Associates, New Delhi: Apply Now!
- Legal Associate at GOGIA & GOGIAs Advocates, Ahmedabad: Apply Now!
For More Internship Opportunities: CLICK HERE
At Kanooniyat, it is our endeavour to provide authentic information from verified organisations. However, it is strongly advised that you do your own research on the legitimacy of the particular organisation. In case you are applying for internships, it’s strongly recommended that you clarify the terms of internship including the grant of stipend (if any) before beginning your internship.
If you have had a bad experience by availing any of the opportunities that we post at Kanooniyat.com, kindly fill this form so that we can blacklist such organizations and take appropriate action against them.