About LAMP Fellowship
The Legislative Assistants to Members of Parliament (LAMP) Fellowship is a unique and an exciting opportunity for young Indians to learn law-making and public policy. LAMP Fellows are mentored by a Member of Parliament (MP) and work full-time with the assigned MP during a given year, starting from the Monsoon session of Parliament till the end of the Budget session. The primary role of a LAMP Fellow is to provide extensive research support to her/his MP for their parliamentary work. This includes drafting parliamentary questions for the MP, preparing the MP’s speeches for zero hour debates, raising matters of public importance, drafting private members’ bills etc.
When Parliament is not in session, LAMP Fellows engage with policy makers, experts from various think-tanks, academicians from several leading universities, and leaders from diverse public policy institutions through participation in workshops on important policy and development issues. LAMP Fellows also participate in field visits during the inter-session period for a practical exposure to governance at the ground level.
About the Opportunity
LAMP Fellowship provides an opportunity to be mentored by a Member of Parliament for a period of 10-11 months, subject to the Parliamentary calendar. During the course of the Fellowship, the Fellows will get the opportunity to engage with experts from diverse sectors and understand important policy and development issues of the country.
The Fellow’s primary task involves providing research support to the Member of Parliament (MP) that she/he is assigned to. A significant amount of the research a LAMP Fellow will undertake will be Parliament related, such as inputs for bills, parliamentary questions, policy discussions and standing committee meetings. LAMP Fellows are also required to provide background research for the conferences and media events MPs attend in their official capacity. While some MPs may delegate constituency-related work to their LAMP Fellows, taking up such work (including visits to the constituency) is subject to the agreement between the MP and the LAMP Fellow.
LAMP Fellows research topics as diverse as defence, food security, environment, economics and foreign affairs. Research tasks may include
- Legislative research
- Data Analysis
- Framing parliamentary questions
- Background research parliamentary debates
- Research for Standing Committee meetings
- Drafting Private Member Bills
- Media-related work including drafting press releases, preparing interventions for TV appearances
- Research for constituency-related issues
- Interacting with stakeholders
LAMP Fellows rarely have a “typical” work day. Requests for research may have varying deadlines – ranging from thirty minutes to a couple of days, depending on the specifications of the MP. When Parliament is in session, the workload is likely to be heavier than the time period between sessions.
PRS seeks to engage with highly-motivated, bright young people for the LAMP Fellowship.
- LAMP Fellowship is open to candidates who are 25 years of age or below
- Candidate must have at least a Bachelor’s degree in any academic discipline.
- Only Indian citizens are eligible for the LAMP Fellowship.
How to Apply:
Partial responses cannot be saved. Please make sure to fill up the application form all at once.
Things you need to have ready before filling up the form:
1) Academic scores/grades (UG and upwards)
2) Details of work experience/internships/ volunteer work
3) A 500-word essay justifying your candidature for the LAMP Fellowship
4) A 500-word essay on a policy or law
The essays should be written in English and in your own words. Any material used in your essays from other sources must be properly cited. Application of candidates who have plagiarized their essays will be summarily rejected.
This form contains 8 sections. They are:
Section 1: Personal information and contact details
Section 2: Academic Qualification: Bachelor’s Degree
Section 3: Academic Qualification: Post Graduate Degree (if applicable)
Section 4: Academic Qualification: Other Degree / Course (if applicable)
Section 5: Work Experience (other than internships) (if applicable)
Section 6: Internship Experience (if applicable)
Section 7: Languages known
Section 8: Two essays (500 words each)
Frequently asked questions about the LAMP Fellowship: CLICK HERE
If you face difficulties filling out the online application form or have a question that’s not answered in the FAQs, please send an email to [email protected].
- Legal Internship at Chamber of Advocate Pijush K. Roy, Supreme Court: Apply by Feb 15!
- Legal Internship at BeIN Legal LLP: Apply Now!
- Legal Internship at KS Legal & Associates, Chennai: Apply Now!
- Research Internship with Professor Dr Bimal N Patel – Member-Designate – UN International Law Commission at Rashtriya Raksha University: Apply by Jan 31!
- Virtual Legal Internship at Lex Walk Foundation: Apply Now!
- Legal Internship Opportunity at Mandla & Singh Law Chambers: Apply Now!
- Intern – United Nations: Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific, New Delhi, India (Apply Now)
- Competition Commission of India (CCI) Internship Programme (Mar 2022): Apply by Feb 1!
- Virtual Legal Internship(s) at AapkaConsultant.com and Legal Shots (YT Channel): Apply Now!
- Virtual Legal Internship (with stipend) at Remote Lawyer: Apply Now!
- Legal Internship at IN10 Media Network, Mumbai: Apply Now!
- Legal Internship at Sonisvision: Apply Now!
- Legal Internship (with stipend) at Sinha & Company Advocates, Kolkata: Apply Now!
- Legal Assessment Internship at Sarvaank Associates, New Delhi: Apply Now!
- Legal Assessment Internship at ALL IP Care, New Delhi: Apply Now!
- Virtual Legal Internship Opportunity at Law Office of Adv Nipun Saxena, New Delhi: Apply by Jan 30!
- Legal Internship Opportunity at Office of Adv Ajit B Kale, Aurangabad: Apply Now!
- Legal Internship Opportunity at Akash Raj Law Chamber, Patna: Apply Now!
- Legal Internship Opportunity (with Stipend) at Oum Law Associates, New Delhi: Apply Now!
- Legal Associate at GOGIA & GOGIAs Advocates, Ahmedabad: Apply Now!
At Kanooniyat, it is our endeavour to provide authentic information from verified organisations. However, it is strongly advised that you do your own research on the legitimacy of the particular organisation. In case you are applying for internships, it’s strongly recommended that you clarify the terms of internship including the grant of stipend (if any) before beginning your internship.
If you have had a bad experience by availing any of the opportunities that we post at Kanooniyat.com, kindly fill this form so that we can blacklist such organizations and take appropriate action against them.