The CPA Project is a litigation, research and capacity-building intervention committed to ending the disproportionate targeting of marginalised communities by the criminal justice system. We seek to hold the police accountable and build a fairer criminal justice system by:
1. Building an open database of the institutional criminalisation of marginalised communities through the various stages of the criminal justice system (police reports, arrest, detention, production, bail etc.)
2. Systematically studying the extent and exercise of police discretion against marginalised communities
3. Researching the constructions of criminality and its impacts on the women and children of marginalised communities through an intersectional analysis
4. Providing quality legal representation to marginalised communities at all stages of intervention, including at the police station and during the production and discharge stages of trial
5. Pursuing legal action to challenge human rights violations including illegal detention,torture, sexual assault, brutality etc. and police impunity
6. Practicing strategic litigation in higher courts to access constitutional remedies such as public interest litigation, writ of mandamus, writ of habeas corpus etc.
7. Challenging the constitutional validity of laws and executive actions that are arbitrary and violate the fundamental rights (Articles 14, 19 and 21) of marginalised communities
8. Supporting a network of community lawyers and paralegals who seek to spearhead social change
9. Producing comics, zines, infographics, pamphlets and other resources to advocate for the decriminalisation and decarceration movement in India
10. Building the legal and reflective capacities of human rights lawyers across the country by sharing our learnings and processes of knowledge creation, database tracking and litigation strategies
We are committed to and informed by the anti-caste, feminist, and anti-carceral movement in the research and litigation strategies we pursue, and in the everyday operations of the CPA Project.
About the Legal Internship Opportunity at Criminal Justice & Police Accountability Project
We are looking for two legal interns for remote internships from October 2021 to January 2022. The work will involve research on the disproportionate impact of criminal laws on marginalised communities and assisting with litigation before the High Court.
No. of vacancies
- Criminal justice system
- Human rights
- Constitutional Law
- Academic background in law (preference to students in their penultimate or final year of study)
- Prior work experience in data (desirable)
Rs 7,500 per month
20 to 25 hours per week
This position is open only for persons from Adivasi, Dalit, ex-criminalised, Vimukta, nomadic or other Bahujan and Pasmanda Muslim communities.
Write to [email protected] with your CV and relevant experience by 15 September, 2021 to apply
- Legal Internship Opportunity at Shraff Legal, Kolkata: Apply Now!
- Legal Internship Opportunity at Parashar Law Chambers: Apply Now!
- Legal Internship Opportunity at Mandla & Singh Law Chambers: Apply Now!
- Virtual Legal Internship Opportunity at Dave and Associates: Apply Now!
- Legal Internship Opportunity (Hybrid) at Jaya Sharma and Associates, Mumbai: Apply by August 31!
- Legal Internship Opportunity at J&G Associates: Apply by August 30, 2021
- Para Legal Intern at Hike, New Delhi: Apply Now
- Legal Internship Opportunity at Safe Ledger Private Limited: Apply Now
- Legal Internship Opportunity at ASBO Legal: Apply by August 31, 2021
- Digital Marketing Internship at Agami, Bengaluru: Apply Now!
- Virtual Legal Internship Opportunity at POSH at Work, Mumbai (Apply Now)
For More Internship Opportunities: CLICK HERE
At Kanooniyat, it is our endeavour to provide authentic information from verified organisations. However, it is strongly advised that you do your own research on the legitimacy of the particular organisation. In case you are applying for internships, it’s strongly recommended that you clarify the terms of internship including the grant of stipend (if any) before beginning your internship.
If you have had a bad experience by availing any of the opportunities that we post at Kanooniyat.com, kindly fill this form so that we can blacklist such organizations and take appropriate action against them.