Kanooniyat is a legal website providing daily legal updates to its user base, comprising law students, law aspirants, lawyers and legal professionals, in the form of articles, opportunities and legal jobs. Social media links: Instagram, LinkedIn, Facebook
About Kanooniyat PIL Drafting Competition:
This PIL Drafting Competition by Kanooniyat aims to provide the participants with a competitive platform to learn about one of the most important skills in an advocate’s arsenal – drafting. For the evaluation process, due emphasis will be laid on a candidate’s ability to succinctly put forward the relevant facts, mention the applicable laws and put forward arguments for the same. The reasoning provided, quality of research, and formatting and language used are also applicable criteria.
The event is being conducted in collaboration with the Chambers of Advocate on Record, Akriti Chaubey at the Supreme Court of India. She is an independent litigating professional with almost a decade of experience in Litigation and Investment Treaty Arbitration. She has appeared in landmark Supreme Court cases like the Ayodhya dispute and the Triple Talaq matter. She, in addition to being a prolific writer, is also an advisor and teacher.
About Workshop on basics of PIL Drafting
We understand that as law college students, you might not have any prior knowledge about drafting a PIL. For this, we have kept a special workshop in collaboration with Advocate Madhurima Ghosh on the basics of drafting and filing a PIL to be held on 20th September. This workshop will be completely free of charge for registered participants of the Kanooniyat PIL Drafting Competition.
Click here for details on the workshop.
The Outreach and Internship partner for this event is LawInternships (The online law school). They provide law students with a plethora of opportunities to intern according to one’s interests and aptitude.
Our Knowledge Partner for this event is E-Justice India which provides a multitude of legal courses and is managed by CSM Partners and Associates LLP.
Our media partner is IJALR (ISSN: 2582-7340), a reputed legal journal platform.
Area of Law for the Competition:
We welcome submissions from eligible students on any contemporary socio-legal issue of their choosing.
Eligibility for Kanooniyat PIL Drafting Competition:
- Students (UG/ PG/ Certifications/ Diploma) from any stream from any University/ College/ Institute in India.
- Multiple entries from one participant are not permitted.
- Co-authorship (Team of 2) is permitted.
Awards and Perks:
- Winner: Rs. 2000 + Certificate of Merit
- Top 5 entries: Certificate of Appreciation
- Exciting internship opportunities to top 3 winners, provided by LawInternships and under Chambers of Advocate on Record, Akriti Chaubey.
- 25% discount on courses by E-Justice to the top 3 winners.
- Participation Certificates to all the participants.
- Free entry to the workshop on the basics of drafting and filing a PIL.
- The PIL must be written solely by the registered candidate (s) (co-authorship upto two is allowed), in English, and should not have been submitted for publication elsewhere.
- The minimum word limit for the PIL is 900 words. There is no maximum word limit.
- All submissions must be accompanied by a 250 word synopsis.
- All submissions have to be made in MS Word format and should be typed in Times New Roman, font size 12 and 1.5 line spacing.
- The page margins should be 1” or 2.54 cm on all sides.
- All text should be aligned as justified.
- All claims of the author (s), in the body of the manuscript, are expected to be backed by reasons along with proper citations and shall not be mere assertions.
- Any violation of rules shall result in direct disqualification.
- The submissions will be scrutinized through plagiarism software. Permissible limit of plagiarism is 20%.
Evaluation Criteria and Weightage:
1. Expression of facts and issues in a crisp manner (20 marks)
2. Application of relevant laws and precedents (30 marks)
3. Lucidity and writing skills (35 marks)
4. Formatting and citations (15 marks)
Copyright of the Submissions:
- All the PIL drafts submitted shall be the exclusive property of the organizers.
- The organizers shall be free to use the information/ views therein in any manner they require and deem fit.
- The decision of organizers in deciding the winner(s) shall be final and binding and no query, correspondence, etc. in this regard shall be entertained by the organizers.
- PIL draft submissions incompatible with the above rules and submission guidelines will not be considered for evaluation.
- The submission of entries to the competition implies acceptance of the above terms and conditions by the participant(s).
- Kanooniyat reserves the right to cancel the event at any point before the conduct of the event. In such a case, any fee paid as registration fee shall be refunded in full to the registered participants.
Registration and Submission Procedure:
- Participants are required to register for the PIL Drafting Competition by paying the registration fee. (Link Mentioned Below)
- Once the registration fee is paid, participants have to take a screenshot of the same and fill the registration form.
- After they fill the registration form, participants will receive an email acknowledging the same from our end which will also have the submission link for the PIL Drafting Competition. The registration shall be complete after this step.
- Participants will have to submit their PIL drafts using the submission form before the deadline. A sample draft of the PIL format can be found here. (Participants are encouraged to find previously filed PILs for better understanding of the format and structure).
- The participants are required to submit their documents by 11:59 PM, 26th September 2021, after which the submission form will not accept entries.
The participants are required to register for Kanooniyat’s PIL Drafting Competition by paying the registration fee of Rs. 250 (single author) or Rs. 400 (co-authors), through the payment link provided, before the registration deadline, i.e., 19th September 2021.
|Last date to register||19 September 2021|
|Workshop on basics of PIL drafting||20 September 2021|
|Last date to submit||26 September 2021|
|Declaration of Results||6 October 2021|
|Distribution of Awards and Certificates||10 October 2021|
In case of any queries related to this PIL Drafting competition, feel free to contact us at:
Phone no.: 7007873010, 8209992708
- Poster Making Competition on “Recovering Better for an Equitable and Sustainable World” by University Institute of Legal Studies (UILS): Register by Sept 30!
- Webinar on “IP Infringement: Shift in Seeking Remedies – Then and Now” by FICCI: September 9
- Webinar on “Constitutional expectations and Economic Justice” by Dharmashastra National Law University: Register by September 9
- Webinar on “Importance of Protecting Intellectual Property Rights” by Law Gardner; 17th September
- National Essay Writing Competition by Centre for Parliamentary Studies, HPNLU; Register by 26th September
- SHORT TERM AWARENESS COURSE ON CYBER CRIMES by World Cyber Security Forum; Register by15th September
- Call For Blogs –Vidhi Mitra Blog by Dharmashastra National Law University, Jabalpur: Submit by 25 September
- CALL FOR BLOGS – USLLS ADR Blog [No fee, Rolling Submissions]
- ESSAY WRITING COMPETITION on “COMPETITION LAW IN DIGITAL SPACE” by Law and Technology Society of NLSIU Bangalore X The Dialogue : Register by September 30, 2021
- Call for Blogs – UPES Student Law Review Blog by UPES, Dehradun (Rolling Submissions)
- Call for Blogs | RMLNLU Kautilya Society Blog | Apply Now!
For More Internship Opportunities: CLICK HERE
If you have had a bad experience by availing any of the opportunities that we post at Kanooniyat.com, kindly fill this form so that we can blacklist such organizations and take appropriate action against them.