About The Organisers
The Competition is being organised by the Ram Balak Foundation with unwavering support and guidance by members from both the Bar and the Bench.
About Mr Ram Balak Mahto
Mr Ram Balak Mahto was the longest-serving Advocate General of the state of Bihar, having served for nearly 16 years, and the chief legal advisor to Chief Minister Nitish Kumar. From 1937 to date only 20 Advocate Generals have been appointed out of which, he was appointed six times. Mr Mahto practised mainly before the High Court of Judicature at Patna and had the rare privilege of working with six Chief Ministers of the state in his capacity as the Advocate General.
In September 1955, he joined the profession of law as an Advocate at the Patna High Court and, during his initial days, worked with the famous Advocate of his time, Sri Lal Narayan Sinha (who went on to become the Advocate General of Bihar and later the Attorney General of India). In 1975, he was appointed as an Advocate for the State Government (Government Pleader), followed by his appointment as Government Advocate and then as the Additional Advocate General. Finally, on 5th April 1980, he was appointed as the Advocate General of Bihar. During his last days, he was serving as the Legal Advisor to the Chief Minister of Bihar. As an Advocate, he commanded respect, both from the Bench and the Bar.
About The Event
The Ram Balak Mahto Memorial Essay Competition is held in memory of the eminent and distinguished lawyer, Shri Ram Balak Mahto (1926-2020). Late Shri Ram Balak Mahto was one of the great legal luminaries in the field of constitutional law along with certain other fields of law. This Essay Competition is aimed to recognise his contributions in the field of law and continue it in his remembrance. The Competition endeavours to stimulate interest and foster growth amongst students to explore and engage with contemporary and seminal issues in the field of constitutional law.
The Competition is aimed at understanding the present scenario and developing ideas for the Indian Constitution and examining whether there lies a vacuum in the present text that needs fulfilment. Building on the events in recent times, with numerous controversial Bills and rulings passed by the Hon’ble Courts, the Competition aims to expand and increase academic scholarship in critical areas of constitutional law.
The theme for the 1st edition of this Essay Competition has thus been chosen as “Does the Indian Constitution Require Transformation?” Participants are free to write on, and choose, any suitable topic for their essay as long as it is within the ambit of the aforementioned theme.
- The Competition is open to all undergraduate and postgraduate students enrolled in any recognised university/college in India.
- There is no registration fee for participating in the Competition, however, interested participants are required to click here to register.
- The essay must be written in English and submitted in Microsoft Word document format (.doc/.docx).
- Co-authorship up to a maximum of two authors is permitted.
- Only one submission is allowed per author/team. Submissions, both as co-author and single, will be treated as multiple submissions and will be disqualified as an entry to the competition.
- The following formatting specifications need to be strictly adhered to: Main Body: Font – Times New Roman, Font Size – 12, and Line Spacing – 1.5; Footnotes: Font – Times New Roman, Font Size – 10, and Line Spacing – 1.0; Margins should be 1 inch or 2.54 cm on all sides.
- The word limit is 2500-3000 words excluding footnotes. Footnotes must follow the Bluebook system of citation (Harvard, 20th edition).
- The essay must contain an abstract, not exceeding 250 words (which would not be counted in the word limit for the essay). It must indicate the theme/topic.
- All submissions should be made in an electronic form at [email protected] under the subject heading “Submission: 1st Ram Balak Mahto Memorial Essay Competition” by 9 January 2022, 23:59 hours (Indian Standard Time, GMT +5:30).
- The essay must be accompanied by a separate document containing the following information about the participant: (i) full name of the participant; (ii) theme/topic chosen; (iii) participant’s current year of study and name of the degree pursued; (iv) name and full address of the participant’s university; (v) name and full postal address of the participant; (vi) phone number of the participant; and (vii) email ID of the participant.
- The essay must be original and bonafide work of the participant. Incomplete or plagiarised submissions shall be summarily rejected. The plagiarism limit is 15% (excluding footnotes).
No part of the essay should contain any form of identification of the participant such as the name of the author, University/College name, etc. on the essay. Any form of identification will lead to disqualification
- Winner: Rs 10,000 and an internship opportunity with a Senior Advocate at the Supreme Court of India/ sitting Judge of a High Court.
- Runner-up: Rs 5,000 and an internship opportunity with a Senior Advocate at the Supreme Court of India/ sitting Judge of a High Court.
- The top five essays will be awarded a Certificate of Merit. A Certificate of Participation will be awarded to all the participants.
Registration Opens: 29 October 2021
Registration Closes: 9 January 2022
Submission Deadline: 9 January 2022
Announcement of Results: 27 January 2022
For inquiries, please email us at [email protected] or contact Viraj Aditya at +91 8210697371 / +91 8447488295.
- CoP | International Conference on Human Rights: Challenges and Solutions [11th Feb 2023] by Maharishi Law School: Submit by Jan 10!
- Webinar on ” International Trade Rules and Incoterms 2020 ” by Gujarat Maritime University (GMU) in association with the International Chamber of Commerce: Dec 29
- Blog Writing Series on International Humanitarian Law- CASH, RGNUL: Submit Now!
- 7th Pranita Mehta Memorial Essay Writing Competition by Corporate Law Society, NLU Jodhpur: Register by Dec 31!
- CoP | International Conference on Human Rights: Challenges and Solutions [11th Feb 2023] by Maharishi Law School: Submit by Dec 30!
- CfP | Indraprastha Law Review, Vol. III Issue II (ISSN No. 2583-5653): Submit by Jan 30!
- 6th International Conference on Economic Analysis of Law, Governance and Public Policy [18th-19th March 2023] by GNLU: Submit by Jan 15!
- CoP | National Seminar on Menstrual Health Management by RMLNLU[Mar 17-18]: Submit Abstract by Jan 25!
- Guest Lecture on Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) & Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Emerging Trends and Road Map for the future by, Manipal Law School, Bangalore: Dec 14
- Call for Submissions for Issue 41, Lex Terra (ISSN: 2455-0965) by CELAR, NLUJAA: Submit by Jan 30!
- Call for Papers | MNLUA Journal For Dispute Resolution by MNLU-A: Submit by Jan 19!
- Call for Papers | Damodaram Sanjivayya National Law Journal (DSNLJ) by DSNLU: Submit by Dec 22!
- Call for Blogs | RMLNLU Kautilya Society Blog | Apply Now!
- Call for Papers |Environmental Law and Practice Review (ELPR) by NALSAR: Submit by Jan 15!
- Call for Narratives by Centre for Criminology, Criminal Justice and Victimology (CCV), RGNUL: Submit by Jan 31!
- CALL FOR BLOGS by USLLS ADR Blog [No fee, Rolling Submissions]
- Lily Thomas Memorial Lecture 3.0 by Office of Lily Thomas and Saju Jakob: Dec 12
- Faculty Development Program on “Curriculum Design, Pedagogy and Teaching Methodology for English Communication in Law Universities” by GNLU: Dec 19-24
- Call for Papers: RMLNLU Journal on Communication, Media, Entertainment & Technology Law [Volume 10]: Submit by Feb 03 2023!
- Virtual International Training Program on Mediation 2023 by ADR BAR and ADR HOC: Register Now!
At Kanooniyat, it is our endeavour to provide authentic information from verified organisations. However, it is strongly advised that you do your own research on the legitimacy of the particular organisation and the opportunity before applying or making any monetary transactions.
If you have had a bad experience by availing any of the opportunities that we post at Kanooniyat.com, kindly fill this form so that we can blacklist such organizations and take appropriate action against them.