About Gates Cambridge Scholarship
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship programme was established in October 2000 by a donation of US$210m from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to the University of Cambridge; this is the largest ever single donation to a UK university.
Each year Gates Cambridge offers c.80 full-cost scholarships to outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge. Approximately two-thirds of these awards will be offered to PhD students, with approximately 25 awards available in the US round and 55 available in the International round.
The selection criteria are:
- outstanding intellectual ability
- reasons for choice of course
- a commitment to improving the lives of others
- leadership potential
There are at least 225 Scholars from c. 50 countries studying in Cambridge at any one time who pursue the full range of subjects available at the University and are spread across its departments and Colleges.
The Gates Cambridge mission is to build a global network of future leaders committed to improving the lives of others. It aims to achieve this mission by selecting outstanding scholars, providing them with financial and non-financial support at one of the world’s leading universities and facilitating community building at and beyond Cambridge.
Who can apply?:
You can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship if you are:
- a citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom
- applying to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study at the University of Cambridge:
- One year postgraduate course (with some exceptions – see below)
What we are looking for
Our Scholars come from diverse backgrounds and each brings something unique to the programme. We use four criteria to select them.
To be competitive for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship candidates must show evidence of academic excellence (through their transcripts, references, experience and the potential to succeed on the chosen course). Academic departments at the University of Cambridge nominate only the most academically outstanding applicants for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship, which ensures that those whom we select will thrive at Cambridge.
Reasons for choice of course
You should be able to make a strong case for a particular postgraduate degree at Cambridge. PhD applicants (and most research MPhil applicants) will need to make contact with a potential supervisor with whom they will develop a research project, a summary of which is part of the application. You will need to demonstrate that you have the academic background and the necessary skills and expertise to complete the course. Taught MPhil and other applicants need to make a strong case for how completing the proposed course will facilitate their career plans. Gates Cambridge seeks Scholars who will have an academically transformative experience at Cambridge, so it is important that you fully research and justify the course for which you are applying.
A commitment to improving the lives of others
A defining characteristic of the Gates Cambridge programme is the commitment of our Scholars to improving the lives of others. We interpret this criterion broadly and applicants define it themselves by providing evidence of their past, current and future commitment to the societies in which they will live and work.
A capacity for leadership
Successful applicants must be able to demonstrate a capacity for leadership, which can be expressed in a multitude of ways. Applicants should provide evidence of their leadership experience to date and indicate the ways in which their leadership skills may have impact in the future careers.
A note on the ratio of PhD:Masters awards
In order to create and sustain a viable Scholar community in Cambridge University and for Scholars to take full advantage of their time in Cambridge, we aim to select approximately 2/3 PhD scholars each year. Those applying for taught Masters should pay special attention to explaining why this is the optimal course for them and how it is critical to their future academic or professional training plans.
The large majority of applicants will apply in this round, which is aligned with the University’s postgraduate funding competition. There are two possible application deadlines and these are based on the course to which your are applying.
|Applications open||Thursday 02 September 2021|
|Application deadline||Dependent on your course – either 02 December 2021 or 06 January 2022 (see Course Directory)|
|Departmental ranking||December – February|
|All applicants notified of application outcome||February 2022|
|On-line review and selection by panels||February and March 2022|
|Scholarships offered||Late March|
|Scholarships accepted||72 hours after offer|
How to apply:
Click Here to apply and for more details.
How we select:
Gates Cambridge uses a three-stage selection process to ensure Scholars meet all of our criteria to the highest degree.
1. Departmental ranking
In order to ensure only the most academically outstanding candidates are considered, the Trust asks academic departments in Cambridge to rank eligible applicants on academic ability only. Those who are put forward by their departments are considered the most academically outstanding applicants they have received that year.
Once the Trust has a list of all nominated candidates, these are divided into broad subject areas and passed to our Shortlisting Committees. These Committees look at the candidates’ entire application pack (including the Gates Cambridge Statement and Reference) and apply all four Gates Cambridge criteria in order to identify those who will be invited for interview. Everyone who is shortlisted for interview will have gone through an exceptionally competitive process and will show evidence of meeting the four Gates Cambridge criteria.
All shortlisted candidates have a short interview to assess how they meet all four Gates Cambridge criteria and Scholars are selected after interview. Interview candidates will be sent full details of the format and arrangements. If you are shortlisted for interview you will have already gone through an incredibly competitive process
You will be invited for a 20-25 minute interview and, depending on where you are, you can interview either in person or by Skype. Where you are able to attend the interview in person we encourage this.
- Meghalaya Legislative Research Fellowship: Apply by September 20!
- Paid Internship Opportunity at Law Office of, Adv. Pratyush Prasanna: Apply Now!
- Paid Internship Opportunity at Rashtriya Raksha University, Gujarat: Apply by September 17, 2021
- Internship Opportunity at National Institute of Social Defence (NISD): Apply by September 25, 2021
- Internship Opportunity at NITI Aayog: Apply by September 10, 2021
- Legal Internship Opportunity at Puthran & Associates, Chennai: Apply Now!
- Paid Legal Internship Opportunity at Care Health Insurance, Gurgaon: Apply Now!
- Paid Legal Internship Opportunity at Law Office of Adv. Shreeyash Lalit, Delhi: Apply by September 20!
- Vacancy for Paralegals at Pioneer Legal, Mumbai: Apply by September 12!
- Legal Internship Opportunity at Kay Legal & Associates LLP, Mumbai: Apply Now!
- Legal Internship Opportunity at Sanskaram Shiksha Evam Seva Samiti (NGO): Apply by October 15!
- Remote Internship Assignment with United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC): Apply by September 12!
- Legal Internship Opportunity at Delhi Commission for Protection of Child Rights (DCPCR): Apply Now!
- Legal Internship Opportunity at State Consumer Dispute Redressal Commission, New Delhi: Apply by 13 September!
- Legal Internship Opportunity at Law Office of Adv. Anuj Tiwari, Delhi: Apply Now!
- Legal Internship Opportunity at Lawfinity Solutions, Noida: Apply Now!
- Legal Internship Opportunity at SDRJ Records Industries P. Ltd, Mumbai: Apply Now!
- Paid Legal Internship Opportunity at Simon & Josephine, Panchkula, Haryana: Apply Now!
- Internship Opportunity at LiveLaw, New Delhi: Apply Now!
- Azim Premji Foundation Fellowship 2022: Apply by October 29, 2021
For More Internship Opportunities: CLICK HERE
At Kanooniyat, it is our endeavour to provide authentic information from verified organisations. However, it is strongly advised that you do your own research on the legitimacy of the particular organisation. In case you are applying for internships, it’s strongly recommended that you clarify the terms of internship including the grant of stipend (if any) before beginning your internship.
If you have had a bad experience by availing any of the opportunities that we post at Kanooniyat.com, kindly fill this form so that we can blacklist such organizations and take appropriate action against them.