About Bombay Chamber of Commerce
The Chamber was founded in 1836 by seven Britishers and three Parsees “to encourage a friendly feeling and unanimity among commercial men on all subjects involving the common good, to promote and protect the general mercantile interests of this [Bombay] Presidency, to collect and classify information on all matters of general mercantile interest, to obtain the removal … of all acknowledged grievances…” In those days there was an entrance fee of Rs 150 and a monthly subscription of Rs 20. Other objects and duties included simplification and facilitation of business practices, communication with public authorities on all matters of mercantile interest and to carry out arbitration of disputes among members.
Established in 1836, the Bombay Chamber of Commerce and Industry is one of the oldest Chambers in the Country. Bombay Chamber has an illustrious history of 182 years.
It is registered under Section 8 of the Companies Act, 2013 (Section 25 of The Companies Act, 1956) a non profit organisation. Chamber has played a significant role in the development of the city. It was largely responsible for the first railway built in India-The Bombay-Thana railway completed in 1853, has representation on the Port Trust, relentless advocacy postal system led to the passing of the India Postage Act of 1854 and standardization of weights and measures, until in 1932, set up machinery for arbitration of commercial disputes in 1880, Established customs of trade.
The Chamber has initiated several practices like making a detailed Presidential address at annual meetings October 1870, presentation of Accounts in a published form 1860-61, have its annual accounts audited by a professional firm of auditors in 1881-82.
The Chamber has played a significant role in supporting the development of industries in Mumbai over the last several decades. The Chamber serves as an effective vehicle of communication between the regulatory bodies, the corporate and the society. It collaborates with other Industry associations and thus increases its reach to the decision makers beyond boundaries of Mumbai. It also supports a large base of Micro Small and Medium enterprise members and contributes effectively towards overall development of its member companies by addressing core issues and remaining responsive to the needs of business.
The Chamber provides services to its members through dissemination of information, publications, special studies and through activities like organizing business delegations, seminars and training programmes. The Chamber also provides labor advisory services for its members. Other services include visa facilitation services to its members and issue of non-preferential certificates of origin.
About the webinar
The Centre for Mediation & Conciliation (part of the Bombay Chamber of Commerce) and Webnyay (online dispute resolution platform) are organising an online consultation on the Mediation Bill, 2021 that was recently published by the Ministry of Law & Justice for public comments. The Mediation Bill is also expected to be tabled in the Parliament in the winter session for discussion and voting.
About the Panellists
The panel comprises eminent experts with tremendous experience in mediation. The panellists are:
- Hon’ble Justice Kurien Joseph – Retired Judge of the Supreme Court of India
- Mr. Sriram Panchu – Senior Advocate and Mediator
- Mr. Francis Goh – SIMC, IMI, Partner – Harry Elias Partnership LLP (Singapore)
- Ms. Ekta Bhal – SIMI, Partner – Samvaad Partners (Moderator)
Date: Saturday, 4 December 2021
Time: 5 to 6 pm IST
- Expert Class on Objectivism and Digital Currencies with Dr Raymond C. Niles by South Asia Students For Liberty: Register Now!
- International Virtual Law Fest Lex Bonanza 2021 By Indore Institute Of Law – 17TH TO 19TH December 2021: Register by Dec 10
- 1st Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Constituent Assembly Debate Competition by LedX (Prizes worth 1 Lakh to be won): Register by Dec 6!
- National Seminar On ‘Contemporary Issues In Intellectual Property Rights: A Multi-Disciplinary Perspective’ By Centre For IPR (CIPR), UPES Dehradun: Dec 03
- DIPLOtics 1st International Model United Nations: [4th-6th February 2022]
- Lecture Series On ‘Law And Society’: Lecture 1by Jamia Hamdard: Dec 02!
- International Webinar on “Cryptocurrency-Its Legal Status and Future Challenges In India” by Dharmashastra National Law University: Dec 03!
- Call for Papers |International Seminar (Tenth Virtual) on Credibility of Evidence by Forensic Practices in Crime Investigation [January 8th 2022]: Submit By Dec 16!
- National Opinion Writing Competition 2021 by Navrachana University: Submit by Dec 26!
- Call for Papers | Journal for Law Students and Researchers [JLSR] [Volume III, Issue I]: Submit by Dec 1!
- 16th Edition Of The National Online National Quiz Competition by Legis Scriptor: Register by Dec 4!
- National Quiz Competition by Faculty of Law, Marwadi University: Register by Nov 25!
- National Lecture on Why Constitution Matters? by Jamia Hamdard: Nov 27!
- National Essay Writing Competition by TNNLU: Register by Dec 31!
- 2nd Edition of Jaipur Law Fest by Vidhishala: Register Now!
- Two Days Online Certified Session on the Basics of “The Information Technology Act, 2000” by World Cyber Security Forum (WCSF): Register by Nov 25!
- Webinar on “Accessible Intellectual Property Rights to the Persons with Disabilities” by GCDS GNLU: December 03
- Online Article Writing Competition on Human Rights by Lex Repository: Register by December 09
- Global Symposium on Labour and Employment Laws by NLIU-NLUD: Submit by November 15!
- Call for Papers | Lex Terra (ISSN: 2455-0965) by Centre for Environmental Law, Advocacy & Research, National Law University, Assam| Submit by November 30, 2021
- Call For Submissions: 4th Edition Of The Muses [Department Of Law, University Of Calcutta, Literary Magazine]: Submit by Dec 31!
- National Debate Competition on Digital Liberty by Students for Liberty: Nov 13-14
- International Conference (Ninth Virtual) on Human Rights and Gender Justice [December 4th 2021] by Kerala Law Academy: Submit By Nov 16!
At Kanooniyat, it is our endeavour to provide authentic information from verified organisations. However, it is strongly advised that you do your own research on the legitimacy of the particular organisation and the opportunity before applying or making any monetary transactions.
If you have had a bad experience by availing any of the opportunities that we post at Kanooniyat.com, kindly fill this form so that we can blacklist such organizations and take appropriate action against them.